Best Extractor Fan/Grill Solution for windy wall vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an existing bathroom 100m duct extractor fan which travels through the wall to a very exposed elevation that lets in a howling gale.

When we moved in the extractor fan was fairly standard and has a Gravity Ducting Vent grill to stop backdraught. Unfortunately, this grill keeps getting wedged open and is in a really inaccessible place.

So I have just replaced the fan with a Manrose QT100S because it has a integrated backdraught shutter thinking this would solve the problem from the inside.
However, I think I was expecting too much from the very flimsy backdraught shutters which, 1. clack around loudly in the wind, 2. don't really cut down the backdraught that much (you can still see daylight through it then closed).

So, I wanted to ask if there is a particular fan/vent-grill combination which is particularly recommended for a windy location?

Would an external cowl like the attached make a bid difference in addition to the integrated backdraught shutter? Capture.PNG

Sponsored Links
Could go for one of these:

You could try this, it is for 150mm duct but seems to screw flat to the wall, use rubber to seal the gaps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106_065254_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231106_065254_Chrome.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
murdochcat recommended an ICON 30 - it's not arrived yet, but looks like it would solve your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back