Have you ever changed a tyre on a scooter ?

Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
Thinking about putting a new tyre on 12" scooter wheel myself. Have some 60cm heavy duty
tyre levers. Know it's going to be a pig of a job as being smallish tyres am guessing they will
be extremely reluctant to stretch, will warm the tyre up using a hairdrier and use windex
as a lube.

Has anyone done this at home ? Any tips ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's a radial tyre then good luck, you could try the cable tie method (or just take it to a motorcycle shop..).

Sponsored Links
Just make sure you get the beed into the well of the wheel when taking it off and fitting the new one.

Plenty of tyre soap and try to warm the tyre through thoroughly (space heater rather than hair drier).

I've seen a few YouTube videos and would always use a machine if possible. Some are rough as arseholxs to save a tenner..

I’ve battled on with motorbike tyres for years.....and I always get them professionally fitted now. Less damage to the tyre beads and the rims.
John :)

Bridgestone Touring tyres are a nightmare even with the proper machine.

I've removed and replaced tyres on a couple of my scooters (Suzuki Burgman 650 and a Honda SH300) using a proper tyre machine. Car tyres are a lot easier - I really wouldn't like to fit them manually and I wouldn't like to imagine the damage you could do to the rim.

upload_2022-4-19_8-48-42.png upload_2022-4-19_8-49-53.png They are about the easiest tyre to change, no tyre leavers required, simply split the rim. Lambretta, and both Vesta's were the same, I only had a British Douglas Vesta myself, and Lambretta, but both had split rims.

Sponsored Links
Back