Have You Ever Heard This Before?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ringing a Hyundai dealer for a part price.

Get the price from the guy and ask for the part number to confirm it's the right thing.

"I can't give you that!"
"Why on earth not?"
"It's company policy."
"Why?"
"Because you will take that part number and find it cheaper on the internet."

I told him that's how the world works. Companies compete for trade.

The price he quoted seemed ridiculous so I'm not surprised people are looking for it cheaper elsewhere.

But what if you give a description of the part and they order it and it's wrong?

I told him I had a picture of the part with lots of numbers on, but he wasn't at all interested. He said they might have used different parts numbers, then when I said are you sure you don't want it he said no, they were all the same!

Sponsored Links
You are taking his time up, which he could more profitably be using.

Why should he help you undercut his business?

Taking up his time?

Isn't he there to sell stuff to people like me?

I just wanted to make sure the part number I had on the item was the same that he had quoted me the price for.

How else do I know it's the right part?

Why put part numbers on things if you can't use them?

Nuckin futs!

Sponsored Links
BTW, the part was a single rear parking sensor.

The price he quoted was £175.11 plus VAT.

I rang Hyundai HO to check the price of the part.

"Oh, we don't have the prices here...."

Have both of you fully read my post?

You do realise the call started as an enquiry about the price of a part?

It was only when I got told they don't give out part numbers (which I wanted so I could check it was the right part) that I made the sarcastic quip about that's how the world works.

To be perfectly honest, I could not believe that one parking sensor could be that much, that why I wanted to cross check the part number.

But seriously, have you ever come across this before? Withholding part numbers?

Have both of you fully read my post?

You do realise the call started as an enquiry about the price of a part?

It was only when I got told they don't give out part numbers (which I wanted so I could check it was the right part) that I made the sarcastic quip about that's how the world works.

To be perfectly honest, I could not believe that one parking sensor could be that much, that why I wanted to cross check the part number.

I have, I do, and I'm pulling your pizzer (a bit).

And while the price might be / is high, it's unlikely to be the same as the FleaBay knock offs that Filly bought; good luck getting any joy, should they be pack up in a month.

I was a potential purchaser.

You're that (a lot), Mr Indecisive :D

Yes, my local Toyota dealer did the same to me about 12 years ago.
It was an exhaaust heat shield, they wanted something like £120 for it.
I'm sure I posted about it here.

At the time I rang, I was a potential purchaser. It was only on being given the price I decided not to buy.

Forgive my cynicism, but only the terminally stupid, loaded old codgers, company car drivers, or those looking for the specs (with which to shop elsewhere) go to the

for a part price, coz they are guaranteed to be pricey.

Forgive my cynicism, but only the terminally stupid, loaded old codgers, company car drivers, or those looking for the specs (with which to shop elsewhere) go to the

for a part price, coz they are guaranteed to be pricey.
Actually, Rob and Chris on SRUK sometimes find parts at the dealers that are cheaper than those up for sale on eBay.

Sponsored Links
Back