Hyndai Santefe 2005 CRTD - Juddering brakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got my Hyundai SanteFe 2005 CRTD (Diesel) checked with an authorised Hyundai dealer for juddering in the brakes. They charged me 50 quid and said that the ABS ring of the front left (n/s) is broken and ABS sensor of the front right needs replacement. They quoted me 550 quid for fixing which I think is a lot. I also wanted to show to our regular mechanic but he wants the part number from the dealer for replacing the parts. Now the dealer says that they would not give me the part number as it is against their policy. I find this a bit odd given that I have paid 50 pounds for the diagnostic already. Can anyone please help here? Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
Presumably the ABS lamp is on here?
That shouldn't effect the brakes really - I would have thought that was due to a distorted disc more than likely.
However, the ABS issues will affect the MOT test.
As for the part number, try another dealer.....they aren't all awkward!
John :)

Thanks for your response. Yes the ABS light flashes intermittently on the dashboard. They said that because the disc is broken, car tries to apply brakes (thinking it is skidding) and hence I get the juddering feeling. I will try calling up some other Hyundai dealer, see if they help.

Yes, fair comment - the ABS parts will have to be sorted.
The ABS reluctor ring is usually separate from the driveshaft......these things cracking isn't unknown.
The sensor is usually held with one bolt, but they usually break on removal.
Any independent garage can sort this, if you don't fancy a Hyundai dealer.
John :)

Sponsored Links
To be honest they didn't do much for £50, plugged it in, no more than that. Might be worth getting an independent shop to plug it in and visually check why the particular fault codes came up.
For example the sensor might just be a bad connection, but that will all take time, unless you can do it yourself.
Probably traction control is applying the brake, ABS usually release on lockup, but I might be wrong. No matter, just thinking out loud.
Also get the tooted wheel cleaned (air line) and again a visual check, sometimes the teeth clod with dirt.

Ring
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ABS-Ring-for...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec7143c97

Sensors
http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw...313&_nkw=hyundai+Sante+fe+abs+sensor&_sacat=0

Yes I do not really fancy Hyundai dealer - I find their costs quite high, given the price of ABS ring and sensor. However the confusion is with ABS ring diameter and number of teeth. I have seen some links talk about 47 teeth and some other links talk about 52 teeth for ABS ring for Hyundai Sante Fe (2001-2006) models. hence I was after their part number which might help.

Just start counting.

Did they give a reason why they "needed" to replace the side that's not cracked?

For counting I would need to open the wheel assembly , I doubt I can do that myself. I would have thought that Hyundai would provide a link or something which would give the part numbers for their cars.

ABS ring of the front left (n/s) is broken and only this ring needs replacement. They also said that ABS sensor of the front right needs replacement , not sure if they gave a reason for this.

Sponsored Links
Back