Have you ever met a well known person or person of interest during your work

T

teaboyjim

Have you ever encountered a well known, famous person or otherwise noteworthy individual during the course of your job? Examples could be Weatherperson, newsreader, actor/actress, politician, DJ, well known business person, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Nobody well known, no not really.

I built an orangery for a Conservative MP.

It was back when the troubles in Ukraine were happening -On a few occasions he had to go up to Westminster rapidly because of it.

Him and his wife are very nice people actually, I got on with them well.

I did a load of furniture for an interior designer who fitted out Tara Palmer Tomkinsons flat in London. He said she was a lovely person who was always making them tea, even cakes sometimes.

I built an orangery, lanterns, bifold doors, huge front door for a property in Balcombe.....the customers moved a few years later and it was bought by Steve Coogan Aha!

So no, not really.

Met a few high profile leaders of industry over the years but not the type of person the man in the street would know.
I think the most famous I have met would be Bobby Charlton when I worked at GEC. He was on the board of directors and all the big-wigs came for a visit one day. Bobby stopped with people along the way and had a chat, me being one of them. He commented on how clean and fresh the factory was and without thinking I said, "You should call in unofficially one day when we are working 'normally'." He did about 6 weeks later LOL. Bosses went hairless running around like headless chickens trying to get everyone to clear up, (it wasn't dirty at all, just tool boxes and equipment not stacked precisely neat), when he came down on the shop floor. When he got to me and my mate again he said, in front of our manager, "Now this is what I like to see, how a factory actually is on a day to day basis instead of a bloody showpiece." LOL. Manager just gave us a glare as he knew we were behind it but couldn't prove it.

Yep, met quite a few, most seem to just expect to be recognised and do seem very disappointed when they are not. If it's not obvious, I'm not into hero worship - I ignore most of them. I long ago parked up in the local city station, to collect a mag., standing alone outside, obviously expecting to be met was Harold Wilson the then ex-PM. He was desperately disappointed when I walked past him, showing no signs of recognition.

Pete Postlewaite, I have shared a few drinks with, very much a down to earth character. In an earlier life, my sister ran Roger Moors fan club and I have met him.

Sponsored Links
Not worked for but seen loads of actors and actresses. This was because I worked on Park street SE1, which is near Borough market and is a much used film set. So from the ones I remember, I've seen :-

Reneé Zellweger - Bridgit Jones diary.
Hugh Grant - As above.
George Michael - Music Vid.
Vinny Jones - Lock, stock, 2 smoking barrels.
Catherine Zeta Jones - Entrapment
Sean Connery. - As above.
Tom cruise - Mission impossible.
Julia Roberts - Notting Hill?
Helen Bonham Carter - Some old period drama / film.

Stood next to Catherine Zeta Jones and Sean Connery whilst have a sneaky pint in the Market Porter, though I didn't talk to them.

Others:

Noel Edmunds, John Craven & Geoffrey Palmer - Cock & Rabbit pub, the Lee.
David Jason - Petrol station, Wendover.
Pauline Quirke - Red Lion, Penn.
Barbara Windsor - Landlady / Owner of the Plough, Winchmore Hill.

And finally, Jimmy Saville, Cow & Calf, Ilkley.

Worked for quite a few. When meeting Jeremy Beadle for the 1st time & I instinctively shook hands........ then felt really awkward (his right hand wasn’t properly formed)

Work for a well know play right on a fairly regular basis

maintenance at one of his props

Apparently back in the 80s the weatherman on BBC breakfast or whatever it was called back then was an ex-copper, whom my dad knew being a copper too, the weatherman visited us once and my friend was blown away that our presence was graced with such celebrity, I had no idea who he was and still don't. That's about the peak of my celebrity hob-nobbing.

I did see Mr Motivator cross a zebra crossing in front of me in Croydon but not sure that counts.

My 11 year old thinks he's going to be a famous YouTuber one day but as he's not yet famous (and not likely to be either considering the downright shocking diatride of rubbish he uploads) so I'm not sure that counts either.

But then doesn't every 11 year old. Sigh.

1c6e02426e4b96ec49d0ebee865a204393c6504fd08fbe0292120affb67f6e4e_1.jpg

Met a renown author when he employed me to advise on and then proof read ( technical content ) the first draft of what has become a best seller.

Spoke to Glenda Jackson ( Minister of Transport ) when working on a stand at a Transport Trade Fair

Met Acker Bilk when he dropped into Dr Jazz ( a pub in Dusseldorf ) for a quiet drink after he headlined a concert in the Philips Halle

I have met several Country Music performers, among them Slim Whitman, George Hamilton IV, Roger Miller.

I've just remembered I met Wynford Vaughan-Thomas once in Pembrokeshire. I was quite young, one of my first holidays away from my parents and I was camping on the motorbike - Francis Barnet as I recall and I broke down, with a holed piston in a village, almost outside a little garage. The garage loaned me the tools, rang and organised a replacement piston and gave me a lift to Carmarthen and back to collect it. The garage took pity on me, they only charged me for the part and the phone call, I set my tent up on the green opposite the garage.

WVT was obviously a regular in there and exchanged a few words with me, but I had absolutely no idea who he was, though obviously a personality - I had to ask their mechanic, after WVT had gone.

Eight or so years ago, holidaying with partner and caravan, I spotted the garage and village again. The garage no longer did any repairs, just sold fuel and a few groceries. A bit of Internet research and I worked out where WVT had actually lived, only a few miles away, so went to take a look.

40 years ago, Alun Armstrong plus cast and film crew came into the pub I was lunching with, with my workmates. Bit of a loud mouth and he was desperately looking around hoping someone would recognise him.

Collecting my company car from service, out local BBC weatherman arrived to collect his car - he was likewise desperate for someone to recognise him.

Last edited:
I did meet Wilfred Pickles and Mabel when I was very young, "Have a go" was recorded at Walthamstow Assemble Hall and my parents got tickets. Cannot remember any details.

I did meet Wilfred Pickles and Mabel when I was very young, "Have a go" was recorded at Walthamstow Assemble Hall and my parents got tickets. Cannot remember any details.

I met WP in Nashes fish restaurant, Leeds, opposite the Grand Theatre - He was either in something there, or perhaps just a customer.

I turned down a job for David Haye the boxer because I didn't like him and didn't want the job. Ironically it was a conversion of two classrooms into a flat at my Mums old school in Brixton.

Turned down a job For Mark Hughes because By this time I was getting fed up with working in London, otherwise I would have loved to. He was Stoke Manager at the time. The Builder who's mate of mine fûcked up in some way and Mark was not happy. He later did a job for Kevin Hitchcock (Former Chelsea GoalKeeper) in Hertfordshire. I cant remember why I didn't do it. He was a Team mate and good friend of Mark Hughes but they never connected on this as Im sure Mark would have told Kevin to steer clear of the builder.

Anthony Head at his flat up Clapham Junction: He asked if I wanted a cup of tea. I'd love a cup of Coffee I replied. Haha I haven't heard that before he grumbled.

Prunella Scales at her Town House Wandsworth Common: My Uncle said John Cleese was upstairs so I went looking for him all over the house. Prunella called me into her bathroom in her dressing gown to ask a plumbing question.
Never found John Cleese. went down stairs to togo to the van and Timothy West was sitting having his breakfast. Both lovely.

Sian Williams her home in North London: Discussing the job in hand we knocked shoulders and elbows after sharing a joke.

Steve Sedgley (Played for Tottenham) at his brand new house he was buying in Chestnut: Playing for Ipswich at the time.
He turned up while I was up a ladder to say hello. I looked at him and said who the Fúck are you? "Only joking" Had a good chat, His wife was just signing on the dotted line I wanted to tell him not to buy the house as the quality was shït.

The CEO of Big Dads Pies QLD.

Had a chat with Boris Johnson at the traffic lights Bow Church with on way homeroom work in my van. He was sitting in the back of a taxi with his fold up bike.

Some young attractive black girl who was in Eastenders cant remember her name but she was lovely in every way. She was Steves girlfriend.

Sponsored Links
Back