Have you ever rescued an animal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to Qunite's Isle in Ontario for part of my honeymoon, and went to a beach on Lake Ontario. There were lots of people from Quebec and Ontario there. My wife and I sat were sat on the beach in baking heat, approx 35C or above. This Quebecois family were sat down and the young lad (about 8 years old) was catching butterflies from the dunes nearby and putting them in a plastic bag. But he was not content with one, he had MANY of these butterflies in the bag, and his family were encouraging him. These butterflies were starting to wilt in the heat, and I was getting enraged. But my wife always tells me to calm down and not to say anything. Eventually this family went for a paddle in the waves so I ripped the bag open and set the butterflies free. A nearby family applauded me. Then I wrote "Vive la pappallion" (I don't know or care if the spelling is correct) in the sand. When the family came back the boy was upset and the family were confused.

Have you ever rescued an animal?

Sponsored Links
Is a butterfly an animal?

I've rescued a few spiders from the missus. They're classed as arachnids and a type of animal (I think?) :)

Glassman said:
Is a butterfly an animal? They're classed as arachnids and a type of animal (I think?) :)

from Wikipedia:

Butterfly - Kingdom: Animalia, Division: Rhopalocera, Phylum: Arthropoda, Class: Insecta, Order: Lepidoptera

Spider - Kingdom: Animalia, Phylum: Arthropoda, Class: Arachnida, Order: Araneae

So yes, both animals!

Glassman said:
I've rescued a few spiders from the missus.

Was she going to batter them? Or do you mean rescued your missus from a few spiders, was she standing on a chair shrieking like in Tom and Jerry cartoons? :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah. She either squashes them or sends the dog in to eat them. Our dog has a taste for spiders and beetles.

Quite fond of spiders myself as they're supposed to help keep the other little nasty creepy crawlies at bay and I kept taratula's as a kid.

Sponsored Links
I once found what I thought was a hampster-like creature on the lawn. Asked my neighbours, none of us recognised it.

Turned out to be a rat. one of them had put some poison down. It had fluffed up and swelled out and wrapped its tail so we didn't see it.

No but once I ran a cat over once by accident and also several hedgehogs, but not at the same time as the cat

Actually I did once help a hedgehog that had got it's head stuck up a drain pipe by pulling it out. I don't think it was one of the ones I ran over Although I couldn't be sure because they all look the same to me, especially when they've been run over

This is a really stupid post isn't it :oops:

pickles said:
No but once I ran a cat over once by accident and also several hedgehogs, but not at the same time as the cat

Actually I did once help a hedgehog that had got it's head stuck up a drain pipe by pulling it out. I don't think it was one of the ones I ran over Although I couldn't be sure because they all look the same to me, especially when they've been run over

This is a really stupid post isn't it :oops:

Yes, but I like it.

SAVED many cats over the years .... but Oh God , save me from myself now ..lol

good for you notb665, I can't stand cruelty, my wife's the island seal lady! her and her friend rescue seal pup's that get washed ashore from the outlying islands and send them to gweek seal sanctuary, I took a fish hook out of a cats mouth once which was tricky and along with some others drove some stranded pilot whales back out to sea and that was a bit scary! oh! and I carried an old lady down to the quay when she fell over and twisted her ankle but I was a coastguard at the time so I guess it was my job! :LOL:

I did save a dog as such a couple of years ago, there was a car parked in our local supermarket, and a dog was on the back seat, windows were shut, and was quite hot.
I went in an did my shopping, and put my stuff away and the dog was still there, going off its head, the day was getting hotter, and it was barking like mad.
just like to say, that a lot of people use the supermarket carpark to go off down town shopping, so I presumed thats what they did.

I went in and got the assistant to put a tannoy out, another 15 mins have gone by and no one answered, the manager came out, by the now the dog is getting worse, I asked the manager to smash the indow, he wouldnt, he said he would call the police though, but I said the dog needs air and water now.

I went to my car, got my cardi that was on the seat, wrapped it around my hand, and got a big stone and smashed it.

Ten mins later the cops have arrived, and the owner of the car, the owner of the car went mad at me, and said he was going to claim,and get me charged with criminal damage, the cops wanted to take him in cause of the dog.

I made noises about his insurance and tax etc, found out he hasnt got any :LOL: , I wasnt charged , no insurance claim either, the dog was taken off him, and he got done for no tax and insurance as well, was in the local paper some months later. :D

spice said:
I did save a dog as such a couple of years ago, there was a car parked in our local supermarket, and a dog was on the back seat, windows were shut, and was quite hot.
I went in an did my shopping, and put my stuff away and the dog was still there, going off its head, the day was getting hotter, and it was barking like mad.
just like to say, that a lot of people use the supermarket carpark to go off down town shopping, so I presumed thats what they did.

I went in and got the assistant to put a tannoy out, another 15 mins have gone by and no one answered, the manager came out, by the now the dog is getting worse, I asked the manager to smash the indow, he wouldnt, he said he would call the police though, but I said the dog needs air and water now.

I went to my car, got my cardi that was on the seat, wrapped it around my hand, and got a big stone and smashed it.

Ten mins later the cops have arrived, and the owner of the car, the owner of the car went mad at me, and said he was going to claim,and get me charged with criminal damage, the cops wanted to take him in cause of the dog.

I made noises about his insurance and tax etc, found out he hasnt got any :LOL: , I wasnt charged , no insurance claim either, the dog was taken off him, and he got done for no tax and insurance as well, was in the local paper some months later. :D

Good for you. Yeah, its against the law for you to do it, but I would've done exactly the same thing, law or no law.

I can't stand to see animals hurt so I'm forever stopping people squishing bugs, that and 4 of my 11 mice are rescues.

Dogs being left in cars on hot days makes me fume! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back