Having a new boiler fitted... concern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I'm having a new boiler fitted. I currently have a water tank and having this removed and replaced with a combi-boiler.

I just heard one of the boiler men say to the other that they have just clipped the window lintel - they are fitting an anti flume or whatever it is called.

Should I be concerned? I'm too scared to go look!!

Sponsored Links
The flue needs to be certain distance away from the window.

It might be helpful if you could take a picture from the outside and post it here for us to check!

The new boiler needs to be notified to the local authority. That's usually done through Gas Safe who post a certificate directly to you.

I hope you know who they are and their gas safe number!

Tony

They are gas safe thank goodness. It was just the initial drilling. They've measured it and it is border line. Basically the flats like mine all practically have combi but it's right in the legal requirements I believe.

Also just found out kitchen waste pipe runs through boiler cupboard in bedroom. I was hoping to use this as a cupboard but clearly pipes are still going to be there.

What can I do after to conceal to make the space useable as clearly access needs to be kept open for these pipes.

You would need to post a picture.

Just because pipes pass through it does not mean you cannot use the space if the boiler is not compromised.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry let me explain a little better. I live in a flat. The current boiler is by kitchen back door on floor area. Water tank is in bedroom. I am having the water tank cupboard cleared and combi fitted. As a result I need to remove top kitchen cupboard so boiler can be mounted on wall. Also it's a galley kitchen with a door and opening window so basically they are running the flue through the very top point of the ceiling so the flue is the distance it needs to be away from them. It's going to be one of those telescopic ones.

Its all a question of where the flue exits in relation to the windows/doors.

Tony

Clipping the lintel on the end/edge won't matter, if the flue is within the regs.

That depends on what he means by "clipping" !

Clipping the lintel on the end/edge won't matter, if the flue is within the regs.

Thank you. Had a look at what has been done it is ok. I envisaged mass drilling but it doesn't look too bad!

And the flue clearances to the windows/doors?

Do not worry.
By clipping lintel he will mean as they have cut hole the lintel above the window under the plaster work is just into where the hole is .
Quite common, when building a house etc it is a pain to cut lintels so they where just put in oversized as no one ever expected boiler etc to be going there in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back