Having a problem installing shower diverter (leaking!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right so installing a shower and got a concealed diverter, they can with 22mm inlets and we are using flexible hose to connect in. As the diverter is female for bother inlets we used a nipple between the diverter and flexi hose, tested it and it drips. Added PTFE and tightened, still a slow drip. What do we do?

Hope someone can help?!

Sponsored Links
Don't use flexis to connect a concealed valve. Recipe for disaster.

What's the reason behind not using them? The problem is all the water is 15mm so using a flexi was just easier for the job. Is whatever the problem why its leaking? Or are the prone to failure?

You wind the PTFE on the thread to form a slight taper ie. more turns at the back of the thread.

You are also probably trying to seal the rubber washer in the flex against the sharp edge of a fitting designed for a compression olive....never a good idea.

Flexible tap connectors behind a panel is a bodge job. The bore of many hoses is also very small leading to pressure drops. I suggest copper pipework.

I assume this is all mains pressure.

Sponsored Links

+1

Flexis can split over time if they move about etc. and are definitely not a good idea to have hidden in a wall. Replace with rigid pipework. NOW!!!

You wind the PTFE on the thread to form a slight taper ie. more turns at the back of the thread.

You are also probably trying to seal the rubber washer in the flex against the sharp edge of a fitting designed for a compression olive....never a good idea.

Flexible tap connectors behind a panel is a bodge job. The bore of many hoses is also very small leading to pressure drops. I suggest copper pipework.

I assume this is all mains pressure.
it is mains yes. So you recommend getting a 15mm to 22mm reducer for both, but use it the other way round and then attatch it into the diverter. How do I go about actually attaching the 22mm pipe to the diverter do I just need to get a nut and olive? If so that's pretty straightforward.

I assumed you have used a 22mm compression to 3/4 male coupling...what have you done with the cap nut and 22mm olive?

If you need to fit 15mm pipe into a 3/4 thread then either use 155 compression to 3/4 male coupling or a 22mm compression to 3/4 male coupling with a 22 to 15mm reducing set. Lots of options though.

I assumed you have used a 22mm compression to 3/4 male coupling...what have you done with the cap nut and 22mm olive?

If you need to fit 15mm pipe into a 3/4 thread then either use 155 compression to 3/4 male coupling or a 22mm compression to 3/4 male coupling with a 22 to 15mm reducing set. Lots of options though.

Currently I've only got a 22mm nipple into the diverter And then the flexihose is 15mm to 3/4. So I guess I'll have to replace the flexihose with 15mm rigid and then do I find a 15mm to 3/4 piece and attach that to the nipple. Or is there something to put the 15mm pipe directly into the female diverter inlet?

So I think what I'll do is remove the existing plumbing including the nipples as I don't think they're sitting right. Get two 22mm straight couplers and remove the but and olive off one end, screw it into the diverter with PTFE, then run connect some 22mm piping and then two 22mm to 15mm reducers (even though it's going the other way) and plumb into the existing 15mm plumbing. Would this be okay?

Take the valve down to the merchants and clog up the trade counter with all the other diyers :) They can advise you best.

Can you take the flexis and niples out and post pics of all the bits you've used, I'm intriguedby the fact nothing seems to seal!

:eek:
Wow.
Rip it out start again with the right stuff
Hence me asking what the right stuff is? I've found some 3/4" x 15mm couplers. Hopefully thatll do the trick with some PTFE in the 3/4 end and rigid plumbing for the rest.

Still no luck. I'm going mad. So I've put a 3/4inch to 15mm coupler in both now with PTFE and they're still dripping. What am I doing wrong?!? Does anyone know where I can get any information on these diverters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back