Having problems feeding a wire to my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anybody help

Yesterday i was trying to bring a permanent live cable from my landing switch for my loft. The only thing is that the wall is plaster board and does not have any conduit.

I have them electrical nylon rods but did not work its impossible to get the wire up there. I can only bring it from the switch because the live is looped at the switches.

I was wondering would there be a junction box up there for the lights because the live is looped at the switches. Any other suggestions any one might have

Sponsored Links
if you have a cavity you can poke through, try plastic oval conduit. It is slightly flexible but rigid enough to go where you push it. Available in 3m lengths from DIY sheds and electrical places. Start at the top and push down.

If you hit a noggin you can measure where it is and cut out a section of plasterboard to drill it.

once you have the conduit in place you can push cable through it easily.

I find the best way to do this,is to use one of the existing cables as a draw wire,as follows:
1.kill the power to the lighting circuit.
2.make sure the feed is dead by using a phase tester.
3.disconnect the feed which will be going into the loft.
4.tape 2 cables onto to the feed (1 is for the wire that is needed for the attic and the 2nd is so you can pull the feed cable back down the wall make sure you leave plenty of length on the 2nd cable).
5.go up into the attic and look for the area where the cables are going down the wall.When you find the cable pull the feed which has the 2 cables tape on.
6.when you have the cables pulled into the attic,disconnect the cable which is needed for the attic.
7.then pull the spare cable back which has the feed still taped on.
8.VERY IMPORTANT make sure that when you tape the cables on,that it's tight because you don't want to loose the feed in the wall cavity.

It is highly unlikely that there is JB box in the attic,the loops are usually from switch to switch.

Sponsored Links
Back