Having radiators fitted onto the wall rather then pipes coming from the ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan to have my radiators getting thier supply and return from pipes hidden in the wall, as apposed to the pipe coming out of the floor.

I have been wondering how it will work, the wall needs to be skimmed, so I was thinking do I need to provide the radiators during the time of the skimming so they know where pipes will be buried.

My builder was saying thats not how its done, he said the skimming will go ahead as planned and then angle grinder to cut into the wall to run the pipe, and then poly filler used to fill where the wall was cut.

Also, will they need angled TRV or straight TRV ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect most would disagree with the builder.I s it him that will be doing the skimming, disc cutting AND making good?

Bear in mind that the pipes expand and contract, and get hot then cold. This is not great for plaster. You may experience plaster cracks

Buy the rads so plumber knows where to run the pipes, pipe work first, then plaster the walls, then hang the rads. Builder making work for himself.

are these stud walls?

pipes should have gone in at first fix. But agree about cracking unless the channels are big enough to include lagging.

It will look better with angled TRVs

Sponsored Links
There are about 20 radiators.
Half will be stud walls and the other walls are solid walls.

So how's this done on a solid wall ?
On a stud wall I understand the pipes can go into the studs, usually 50mmm width so enough room to expand etc.

On a solid wall how would that work.

make sure the plumber lags everything. Most don’t think it’s necessary.

Have been offering concealed radiator pipe feeds for many years,ok 30+ In the lodondski area.

Maybe your builder/heating installer are sling it in ,get out quick merchants.Get experts in its all doable.

What do you mean by lag, does that mean cut a big cutting in the wall or insulate it with something first before buryng in the wall.

Could do,ask the installer every installation is different and the installer will need to sign the work off as being suitable.

it depends on the wall and how much chasing is needed. If the wall already has good thermal resistance, then I’d just use a pipe wrap. But in voids and walls elsewhere it needs to be protected to minimise heat loss as per building regs (e.g foam tube insulation). for some reason BC don’t check pipes much and installers won’t do it if they can get away with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back