designer radiator fitting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've ordered a fancy designer radiator (1800mm high x 500mm wide) and just want opinions on the best way to get the pipework to it.

Is it best to run the pipework up from the floor to the valves like with a standard rad or would it be better to chase the pipes into the wall so they come out behind the radiator?

If I chase the pipes, is it OK to use speedfit plastic pipe with speedfit elbows where the pipe comes out of the wall or is that a definite no no? I was thinking of burying them quite deep then just plasterboarding over and skimming level to the rest of the plaster?

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I've ordered a fancy designer radiator (1800mm high x 500mm wide) and just want opinions on the best way to get the pipework to it.

Is it best to run the pipework up from the floor to the valves like with a standard rad or would it be better to chase the pipes into the wall so they come out behind the radiator?

If I chase the pipes, is it OK to use speedfit plastic pipe with speedfit elbows where the pipe comes out of the wall or is that a definite no no? I was thinking of burying them quite deep then just plasterboarding over and skimming level to the rest of the plaster?

Cheers

Rob

It depends entirely on what you'll be happy with Rob.

If you're happy with speedfor connectors, so be it, some people want radiator tails hidden into the wall, and some prefer chrom pipes dropping doen inot the floor.

One thing I would be sire of it that all the pipework is sounds and tested for leaks BEOFORE any making good is done, i.e. plastering painting etc.
How does that sound?

Thanks for the reply.

I think we would prefer the pipes coming out of the wall. My only concern was having speedfit elbows behind the wall - are they reliable enough?

Thanks for the reply.

I think we would prefer the pipes coming out of the wall. My only concern was having speedfit elbows behind the wall - are they reliable enough?

They are fine mate, just make sure ;

1) They are branded (ie John Guest, etc)

2) You tighten up the "collar" on the fitting after you've made your connection.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered the heat output most of these types of rads are useless at actually heating a room

Thanks for the advice. Got some JG fittings so will use those. As for heat output, it was hard work finding a tall rad with good ouput but found a MHS one with over 7000 btu which is plenty for our smallish living room

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back