Concealing Towel Radiator Pipework (Combi Boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to conceal some towel radiator pipework, pipes are microbore (10mm) to speedfit 90 degree compression fittings. The wall has been dry lined so its approx 12.5mm plaster board, before we get to plaster/concrete etc.

Currently, the microbores going into the rad don't have sufficient length for me to manoeuvre the elbows back into a chased wall. So, my question is how can I add a longer section of pipe preferably without having to drain the entire system.

dAsFKwX.jpg

Sponsored Links
Depends where the rad is but the only way really is to turn off all the rads at both ends then depressise the system via that valve nut that the short piece of microbore goes into. Oh and take that PTFE tape off the thread. Once it's depressurised and with all the rads shut off then the water loss will be minimal. Remove that pipe and fit a longer piece, with inserts. Re-tighten it all back up and re-pressurise the system.

Watch out for the reducer in that valve as it doesn't look like a 10mm fitting, it'll need replaced.

Oh btw, if the rad is in an upstairs/downstairs then there will be a bit more water loss as some of the upstairs pipework will drain too. Just be meticulous when filling then bleeding. If you lose more than a few L then some inhibitor may be advised too.

Thanks Madrab.

The rad is upstairs so hopefully minimal water loss.

When you say
Watch out for the reducer in that valve as it doesn't look like a 10mm fitting, it'll need replaced.

What's the correct fitting that it can be replaced with?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
One of these -
shopping

It will all become clear when you loosen the nut on the bottom of that valve, whether there's one in there or not. They are called compression reducers, just make sure you have measured the size of the pipe, it should be 10mm but just make sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back