Having trouble finishing Laminate Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly, this is my first post and just to let you know I am more than a novice when it comes to DIY. So I apologise for my stupidity in some areas...

I started laying my laminate flooring last night in my Kitchen - I have removed the skirting boards and put the spacers at the edge of the room so the first strip was completed fine.. The I got to the door frame - its a curved architrave and therefore very hard (for me) to get a good cut round (I have been using an electric Jigsaw).

I also wondered how far do I go into the next room - the next room will be carpeted so do I just go to the middle of the door frame?

The next thing I encountered was on about the third strip when it starts to every so slightly lift but I am thinking is this because it isn't complete or because the floor isn't level? Using a spirit level it is the smallest fraction uneven does this matter to much? When I have locked the whole floor in and put the skirting over the top and the plinths over the top will this solve the ever so slight raise?

Also will the skirting cover my cutting imperfections? I am guessing the skirting is about 10mm deep so anything 10mm from the wall will be covered?

I have a whole house I am doing (with friends and family helping) but I wanted to try and get this done myself if possible so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
I have managed to get round the door architrave problem but chopping the bottom of the architrave off and slotting it under!

My next question is the floor is slightly uneven at one end. Where the French doors were fitted there was a gap - this has been concreted over but it has a slight decline on it... now it is only a 5mm gap but it is effecting the laminate. It drops when you stand on it - my question is can I just use some filler to correct the gap? Or is this a rubbish shortcut and should I get some screed or whatever?

Please help! Thanks

Hi, get yourself a tile template - something like this....

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...6827&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories<{9372013}/categories<{9372031}/categories<{9372103}/specificationsProductType=cutting_tools/specificationsSpecificProductType=tile_shaping_templates

it helps to get the shapes around door frames and architraves etc. Lay that on to your laminate and draw out the shape that you will need and cut it out with your jgsaw. Please remember to measure twice and cut once though or you'll end up with a lot of wastage.

Unfortunately, the floor beneath the laminate has to be level. If your laminate moves or flexes when you stand on it, it doesn't sound like its level enough.

If it's a small area, then you can use levelling comound - you can get this from most DIY shops. Don't use other forms of filler or it will crumble under the weight of the floor/someone standing on it and will cause big problems at a later stage.

If the whole floor is uneven then get yourself some 3 ply plywood/sheets of hardboard depending on how uneven the floor is. If there is just a little difference then use the hardboard as it's much easier to work with. If there are large differences then use the plywood.

Make sure that the h/b or plywood that you use is not and exact fit either (same as the laminate floorig), as this will expand and contract under different weather conditions.

once this is laid, nail it into place using small nails (less than the thickness of the h/b or plywood and the floorboard combined. (Any longer and you may end up puncturing a wire/pipe under the floor).

Make sure you also use underlay as well - seeing as it's being laid in a kitchen, use a waterproof type such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARRIER-D...0687668787?pt=UK_Flooring&hash=item415a49ee33

It sounds like a lot of hard work, but the end result will be well worth it. Done properly, the flooring will also last a lot longer than if rushed.

Good luck.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your help and advice! I thought the filler might be a rubbish alternative... I will buy some levelling compound tomorrow and hope this works.

I have already laid this underlay http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/215589 as it says it is sufficient for timber floors (which we have).

The area that is uneven is where the gap between new French doors and the floor boards stop because that has been concreted but unevenly. I will level the concrete area with the compound and then lay the underlay over the top and hopefully this should solve my problem.

If you think it is worth getting the other underlay then I will have to consider this before I go any further.

Once again thank you for commenting and helping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back