Hayter H1842 Powered Collector issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long shot but hoping someone can tell me how to get the powered collector (PTO) working on a Hayter H1842. I have connected up the belt from mower to collector but engaging the PTO doesn't appear to do anything. I assume it is meant to start the mower end of the belt drive turning but it doesn't. Looking under the mower there is a belt connecting the main deck to the back of the mower but it doesn't look like there is anything connected to the underneath of the drive wheel that would ultimately power the PTO. I can attach pictures if it helps but is anyone familiar with this model and able to tell me how this should work?

Sponsored Links
Allow me to engage the brain cell (this may take a while)......o_O
The powered collector is in the form of a bristle brush at the back of the machine that sweeps the lawn.....is that correct? Its best if I remember the right machine, for a kick off! Do stick a few pics up.
John :)

Its been 10 years or so since one of these machines came my way, but here goes.....
At the very back right of the chassis there is a pulley with two horizontal 'vee's'.......this is driven by a transmission belt. Another belt then goes forward from this pulley, and twists through 90 degrees to a vertical pulley on the right of the machine, just back from the seat. Outboard from this is yet another pulley that goes back to power the sweeper......an idler pulley tensions this belt to get it to transmit power.
On the sweeper itself, the drive enters on the offside, transfers to the nearside to another belt that spins the tines to sweep the lawn.
Please say I'm close :eek:

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Yes, that's spot on and I think it might be the middle pulley that I'm missing. I have included some pics. The first shows the pulley on the mower directly behind the seat. The second the pulley on the collector. As you mention, these are connected by a belt which twists 90 degrees. The final picture shows the pulleys in the section on the mower under the section in pic 1. That third picture is not great but there is a pulley that runs from/to the bottom section of that unit to the main part of the mower. However, the top pulley (quite clear in the pic) does not seem to be connected to anything. When the PTO is engaged I assume (from your description) the pulley in pic 1 should drive the pulley in pic 2 and therefore the collector? I also assume that the pulley in pic 1 should be driven by the section in pic 3? However, pic 1 pulley does not move at all which I assume is because there is nothing connected to the pulley at the top of pic 3. Sorry, not the clearest of explanations but hopefully it sort of makes sense.

There are 3 belts in the current setup though (when the collector belt is in place) which seems consistent with your description and that makes me wonder whether I'm not missing a belt after all. Is it that the belt at the bottom of pic 3 should actually on the pulley at the top of that pic. Now I think about it this sounds quite likely as it is difficult to see what it is attached to currently - although, if it had slipped off, then I imagine it would be more obvious.

Thanks again for the help.

Ye gods, a head scratcher indeed! I'm just about certain this machine has 4 belts when everything is up and running......look at the main engine pulley - is there a spare vee groove there? I think a belt goes from the engine to that big pulley (last pic) and then to the other pulley in the corner of the chassis. This pulley is actually adjustable on a slot to allow belt tensions to be set.

Ok, will have another (closer) look. When you say vee groove, I assume you mean another pulley section/wheel to take a belt?

Actually, what does the belt running to the bottom section of pic 3 do? If there is a belt running from the engine end of the mower to the section under the seat then what would that be for other than powering something at that end?

I'm hoping that the engine has a spare 'vee' for that elusive belt ......that's what I meant by that one. Hell, there has to be some way of driving that PTO!
The large pulley you mention takes the belt clear of the transmission, if I remember - it was 10 years ago since one of these machines came my way....but we'll get there in the end!!

Still not get anywhere with this one. I will be able to take a closer look at the weekend. If it still doesn't become clear then I will post some more pictures of the pulley configuration.

One thing I am still not clear on is why the belt running to the section under the seat wouldn't be used to power the PTO. I understand it takes the belt clear of the transmission but couldn't it be used to kill two birds. Also, inherited mower from wife's grandfather and he had looked after it well. I'd be surprised if there was a belt missing as a result. The main PTO belt was at the back of the seat - for example.

Have a more immediate problem anyway - relates to other thread so posted there.

Very unfortunate that I don't have any exploded diagrams for this machine (or any machine as it happens) - but they will exist! Maybe a trip to a long established horticultural dealer could reveal something as they seem to have most things on microfiche.
Anyway, I'd be inclined to follow the path of the horizontal pulleys and see where that path could go. The belt on these won't twist or rise or fall, it will be exactly in the horizontal plane - you can tell that by the truth marks on the pulleys. It therefore makes sense that another drive pulley would be around somewhere!
It does seem a good while since they operated though, looking at the rust trace. One minor discovery though, this system seems to be somewhat similar to the now obsolete Countax Rider 30 - so there may be something to look at there.
Here's a long shot.....the belt on the lower pic seem recent. Is there any possibility that a longer belt could actually connect to that large pulley after driving the transmission, so the engine would drive the transmission and the PTO using one belt? Ignore this if the pulleys aren't in alignment.

Excellent diagrams, I haven't come across them before. Do you know which transmission your machine has by any chance?
(I only have a tiny screen now, have gone to Ibiza for a week) :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back