Hayter mower blade removing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, bolt that holds on blade will not budge! Looked through some excellent posts, nothing works, not able to try heating outer metal as run out of gas for blow tourch. Done the dam, with blue tack, round the nut to hold in WD 40 over night - all good stuff! Will try fine oil all round next.

Second prob., trying to get lever at the end of throttle cable released. Have drained oil ready for oil change so have mower leaning, away from filter, just able to sqirt WD 40 up around lever. Need to sort this or will end up having the thing running away with me. :LOL:

Many thanks, sure there is someone in the know out there!

Sponsored Links
Not wishing to make matters worse, I had the same problem some years ago which was also on a Hayter, never did get it off. The only thing which might work is to find a larger nut that will slip over the bolt head and weld it on through the hole in the middle, this will certainly give you better purchase but may well break the bolt.

If you do get it off, dip it in Waxoil before you refit it then it should come off next time.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Peter. Surprised WD 40 hasn't worked. Read diesel will loosen. Off for another go. Taken note of your tip and will do that when I get the blade off. Back to work on it. Thanks!

This is where a windy gun comes into its own - but don't forget the bolt head is imperial (usually 9/16").
If there is a domed washer beneath the bolt head, this will be spring steel, or at least would be if it wasn't heated :p Its a blade locking washer, and it could be a good move to replace it - but most don't bother.
Can you post a pic of the throttle arrangement, or describe what type it is?
John :)

Try hitting the head of the bolt with a hammer.
This will make it a tight fit in a the 6 SIDED SOCKET THAT YOU ARE GOING TO USE TO LOOSEN IT.
Will also help to shock the threads free
you have to hammer the socket on, hopefully

Heat (red hot) the bolt ensuring the heat does not travel up the shaft.
Have something to help put out a fire and with burns (water), handy

You could sharpen it where it is?

Thanks folks you all have excellent helpful comments, thank you. ! Would be a good idea for me to go through them one at a time, will help to fix each step in my brain -I hope. For next time!

So far, had a delivery of groceries from Sainsburys and the young man offered to help get bolt undone - he did it! Youknow brute force etc., well I'm getting a little weak ! :0) Have bolt and blade locking washer which I can't get off yet! Your comments are gems! lol! And, very clear and helpfull! Have put WD 40 on the blade locking washer.

Can send a pic. Peter, thank you! How far can I turn the mower safely when it has no oil or petrol in it? :LOL: Could be a lot more than with oil and petrol! LOl! It's in a very difficult position, will do my best one way or the other!

Have hit it Mursal! Several times but not too hard! Shall need my hose pipes if anything red hot about! For elf andd safety! Got good first aid kit to! Thanks! Much appreciate all your input. Look forward to continuing and getting the job finished tomorrow. Very kind gents! Carol.

Hello Carol
If the mower has no oil or petrol in it, you can turn the thing over completely.
Otherwise, its back on its handles I'm afraid - oil tends to soak the air cleaner element if you don't, which means replacing the thing if its paper, and washing it out in petrol if its the foam type.
The engine will probably chuff blue smoke for a few minutes once its running again.
Regarding the blade exercise......your machine may have just one centre bolt, or a centre bolt and two extra ones securing the blade. Which do you have?

Hi folks, mower working a treat, drives well, cuts great and sounds sweet! Found an inspection cover for the drive wheels and was able to WD40 and oil. Very grateful for your expert help and advice and for taking the time to help! :D Would make you all bacon sarnies and tea if you were here! Have several other bits to sort hope you will be on line when i post. Have a power cube that has stopped working and a fencing unit that is not working.

Kind regards. Carol.

Yours to command, Carol :p
Keep the oil level topped up (SAE 30 grade ideally) and it'll see us all out!

Sponsored Links
Back