Hazards of domestic switchgear under stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a new one, not sure if it's a DIY disaster or electrics!
Our cu and cutout are under the stars on the party wall. i was going upstairs with a big glass of water on a tray, tripped over and spilt the lot. All the water ran towards that side straight through the gaps funneling down onto the gear.
I switched off the main isolator and dried inside the cu, but the cutout was soaked.
All ended well, but I'd certainly not considered the risk of spillage when siting the cu and using the top entry.

Sponsored Links
Our cu and cutout are under the stars on the party wall. i was going upstairs with a big glass of water on a tray, tripped over and spilt the lot. All the water ran towards that side straight through the gaps funneling down onto the gear. ... All ended well, but I'd certainly not considered the risk of spillage when siting the cu and using the top entry.
One cannot really plan/guard against all possible eventualities, and the sort of hazard you describe is definitely not restricted to just "switchgear under stairs" ...

... My 'cutout', meter, a couple of CUs and all of my distribution switchgear etc. is in a ground floor utility room. This is immediately below a bathroom and, on a least a couple of occasions, 'incidents' up there have resulted in water coming through the ceiling onto 'the electrics' below. I would think that a 'leaking bathroom' is more likely than someone spilling water whilst walking up stairs, so maybe the title of this thread is inappropriately restricted!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
for bathrooms, I have come to the conclusion that sooner or later there is bound to be a leak, overflow, or unattended running tap.

The best way to get water off a ceiling is to punch holes in it with a skewer.

So I have decided to drill a suitable hole in the kitchen ceiling above the sink, to encourage water to run out where it will do least damage. I might fill it with a little polyfilla or painted tissue paper that will give way when wet.

for bathrooms, I have come to the conclusion that sooner or later there is bound to be a leak, overflow, or unattended running tap.
That certainly corresponds with my experiences!
So I have decided to drill a suitable hole in the kitchen ceiling above the sink, to encourage water to run out where it will do least damage.
Where possible, I have done something similar. However, water often has a mind of its own (well, a mind dictated by the laws of physics etc.!) and often defies one's best plans by choosing a less convenient route for its flow!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back