hdd troubles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a problem with my hdd. The controller card is burnt out. I obtained another one but the firmware is the wrong version. Any ideas?

WD80BB
card is 2060-001292-000

Sponsored Links
You need to find a controller with the same model AND revision number.

Good luck.

Yeah I figured that one out. Any ideas where I can get one,I have tried the usual places already.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I meant ebay, google, various other repair sites and ultratec. I may have to fork out a wad of cash and get it done professionally. Load of pics of my kids are on the drive.
I now use an external drive and do regular back ups.

Nothing like bolting the stable door....

There are no usual places for sourcing HD boards and the manufacturer won't sell you one.

You will be very lucky to purchase a new drive with the same controller as they are constantly revised. Your best option would be to try a local computer repair centre as they may have scrap drives with good controllers. Computer fairs are another possible source.

What I tend to do, if presented with this type of problem, is store the drive in the hope that another will come in. I did one for a BT engineer a while back and he had to wait 6 months until one turned up. He had all his family photos nicely locked away without any backup.

The only other option is to send it to an outfit such as Ontrack. They have the facilities to re-engineer the drives, with a good success rate. the downside is that it will be extremely expensive.

I'll be doing some work for a mate over the weekend, and I know he has a large number of scrap drives. I'll have a trawl through to see if I can find anything. If there is any other information on the drive, please post it here. If you can photograph it and post it, that would be useful. Make sure all the reference numbers are visible. If you can send me the drive or controller, that might help speed things up, but you may have to be patient.

That would be great, it is a western digital drive. If you find one I will of course pay you for it.

I am looking for a board for a WD800BB-60JKA0
Numbers on the board are
2060-001292-000 revA
elec-8 e3330bm
on the chips
88i6540-LFH, gf11671.2, 0433 b1p

On the white label on the connector

2061-001292-000 ac xc 2d09 1jpn 5 0001090 5091

I think the 2060-001292-000 Rev A is the key descriptor but I am not sure.
If you know of anybody that is looking for a 2060-701292-002 board I have one. A man in Tawain said it would work...what a mug I am.

I have now found out that the new controller should work if I swap the firmware chip (U12). It looks too much of a daunting task for me to do so (I have gone cross eyed just finding the chip). Do you know of if any electronics repair places would do it for me? (Scotland central belt)

its a western digital drive, is it still in warrentee? as they replace drives in warrentee without batting an eyelid, and normally they just chuck you a larger drive!

he hasn't backed up his data :rolleyes: so wants to read it off the old disk and copy it somewhere safe.

Getting a new disk won't help.

waggonway said:
I have now found out that the new controller should work if I swap the firmware chip (U12). It looks too much of a daunting task for me to do so (I have gone cross eyed just finding the chip). Do you know of if any electronics repair places would do it for me? (Scotland central belt)

This is the kind of work that a data recovery centre would do, but it would be expensive. We occasionally send drives to a place in Milton Keynes. The last repair came in at around £600.

I must admit, I got a little side tracked and forgot to ask about the drive. Send me an email (address in my profile) and i'll have word this weekend.

Ok, some good(ish) news.

I have found a drive with a revision A board, however, it's not a scrap drive and doesn't strictly belong to my chap. In that case, he won't allow me to send it to you, however, he will let me swap the boards and, if it works, I will dump the contents to one or more DVDs and send them to you. If it doesn't, we can either store the drive until another comes along, or return it to you at your expense.

If you want to pursue this, send me an email and I will reply with an address. Either way, there will be no charge, other than material costs.

Thanks for the help. I think I have found an electronics guy who will swap over the chip for me. If he can't I will be in touch.

Sponsored Links
Back