HDTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate's TV went "phut" the other day, so he is looking to buy a new one. We went down to a Currys superstore to gawp at the screens (obviously, he would shop around for price, but it is good to get an idea of them first)

Around 70% of the TVs there were HDTV-ready... they had the screen resolutions listed on the tags so they definitely were HD, not just downconverter-equipped. The prices really aren't too bad either... not cheap, but not the massive prices I was expecting.

But... not one TV had more than one HDMI connector. Sky has already announced you will need HDMI to get their HD service, and the HD-DVD standard is also likely to require it. On top of that, next-generation games consoles will be best-used through HDMI.

So, it seems that to accompany your sleek new HDTV you will also need to buy a switch box/receiver to plug all your equipment into. :rolleyes: Didn't they learn their lesson with SCART? They started off putting one socket on each TV, now they have at least 2, often 3 and sometimes 4!

Sponsored Links
the only problem with 1-4 scart inputs on a t.v. is that normally only 1 will be RGB enabled,so if you've got sky/dvd/games console one will benefit 2two won't.i got a surround amp with 7 inputs and 2 outputs which are component enabled (picture only)so just use the amp for switching inputs,works o.k.

Heavy Duty TV :oops: Does that mean my 405 line Ekco won`t work :?:

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Heavy Duty TV :oops: Does that mean my 405 line Ekco won`t work :?:

LOL I bet a museum would like to see a 405 line set :D
As for HDTV or any telly for that matter you get what you pays for and I suspect dead pixel count etc is quite high and lack of inputs is normal from the likes of curry's!

A few observations about plasma tellys

They are very heavy (40-45kg) compared to normal tvs (15-30kg)

Many people don't set them up correctly, and end up with a picture that looks awful, bits cut off the edge or bottom etc. In fact, the only place i have seen them properly set up is in such places as Currys.

Dont shop online for a TV. Quality varies and you dont get a good feel for a TV online. Dont forget you are going to be watching it for hours and hours. Go to the shop, find one you like, see it working, then go home and get on t'internet.

SOME plasmas have a seperate box for the scarts, aerial and power to plug into, with just a VGA or HDMI signal cable connecting to the screen. This has its positive and negative points.

Dont buy a TV with "surround sound" as often, especially with plasmas, it is "virtual" and is far from true dolby 5:1, which is the standard on DVDs and Sky when they start transmitting i expect. Buy a seperate dolby digital box and speaker system, they aren't expensive (from the likes of Argos) but stay away from anything sub-£100

What is it with scart? I mean how did it come about? its big an bulky, the cable comes out on a stupid angle and it never wants to stay attached to the telly and the cable is stiff. nuf said! :confused:

Richardp said:
What is it with scart? I mean how did it come about? its big an bulky, the cable comes out on a stupid angle and it never wants to stay attached to the telly and the cable is stiff. nuf said! :confused:
I agree. My grandparents phone me approximately once a month for my help with their VCR and it's normally because the scart has come loose. It's on a stone built fire surround and they never touch anything behind it so I'm sure it's not their fault that it becomes dislodged!

I think the only thing going for scart connections is that they're "universal". I have to admit that most of my own gear is connected this way but if I could afford to do it all through SVHS/S-Video I would.

Well, would it surprise you to hear that it was in fact a French invention? :LOL: Typical French, good idea, but never fully thought out... and has a silly name. Peritel. What's that about?!

Do plasma TVs suffer from dead pixels? My lovely new widescreen TFT panel has none whatsoever, I've done full tests to make sure! Native resolution of 1680x1050, dead sharp picture... makes DVDs look c**p unfortunately, hence my interest in high-definition (I watched the wmv-HD demo clips on it and made my pants go squidgy :eek: ) Not the full 1920x1080 HDTV resolution, but near enough.

I heard a couple of years ago that many people were buying plasma TVs, and hanging them on walls with unsufficient support. BANG! £5K of TV splattered on the floor.

But 15kg tellys? My 28" Wega weighs nearly 50kg, and the mass printed on the box was 60kg! :LOL: They use leaded glass, y'see.

Simon, don't be tempted by the S-video: your DVD player, freeview box or whatever will be able to connect by RGB component video over the SCART... much better quality than S-video. IIRC you bought quite a nice smart widescreen a while back (after my rants about the 2004 olympics) :LOL:

I got two LCD's one's a big one and both are wall hung on folding arms its brilliant saves alot of room but the flipping scarts keep coming out, the cables are all taped together and look real neat. honest!! ;)

AdamW said:
Simon, don't be tempted by the S-video: your DVD player, freeview box or whatever will be able to connect by RGB component video over the SCART... much better quality than S-video. IIRC you bought quite a nice smart widescreen a while back (after my rants about the 2004 olympics) :LOL:
Not just because of your rant, but I fancied a new telly and having bought a widescreen, I would never go back ;)

To be honest, although I bought a good TV, I don't actually watch telly often enough to justify spending a fortune on connectors. I have DVD, Freeview, and VCR connected to it, all through scart, and my PC connected to it with S-video, and it all performs quite well enough for my liking. If I ever have enough money to start setting up a proper home theatre I'm sure my viewpoint will change (as it did with 4:3 to widescreen!)

But for now, I spend more time in front of the PC or listening to music, and about an hour a day (max) with the TV. So before I start looking at RGB leads I want a 20" Dell widescreen monitor.... ooops, god damn you Adam, you've influenced my buying wish list again.....

Simon, if you get the 20" Dell monitor then all the chicks... erm... all the dudes... will want your body ;) . THAT is how sexy this monitor is. Honestly, a mate of mine came round, saw the monitor and just stopped dead, muttering "that is cool" over and over.

Just as soon as I find someone willing to let me borrow their digital camera I will rejuvinate the "Where do you sit to read DIYnot" thread, just so I can show off! :LOL:

I spend £20/month on Sky, and recently I reckon I've been watching it for less than 1 hour a week. I have had it for more than a year now, so I have considered cancelling the subscription. It's tempting. Especially since the satellite-only channels seem to have about 2-weeks of programming that they loop continuously. There are only so many times you can watch "Streetcrime UK 4" or "Building the ultimate tractor" before you want to slap Rupert Murdoch round the face.

NewHomeNovice said:
say you wall mounted a plasma, where the heck do you hide all the cables running in and out of it ???

I have many many cables run down through my stud walls, emerging behind my TV and home cinema kit from some neat outlets I made with 40mm PVC pipe. That includes speaker cables, satellite cables, network cables and so forth.

If I were to install a plasma on the wall, I would install a flex outlet plate behind it in which to wire the kettle-lead. This would be switched by an FCU nearby. The signal cables would be routed in the walls, exiting behind the screen. Probably through some homebrewed outlet plates, or through some specially modified "Muffking" blanking plates.

Sponsored Links
Back