HDTV

Your shiny new plasma is capable of showing much more detail than your old CRT, hence your picture looks worse.

Standard (PAL) TV is broadcast at 720 x 576 pixels, which is the resolution of your CRT TV so the picture looks good.

I can't say for certain what res your plasma is, but it's at least 1024 x 768, if not more, so that 720 x 576 pixel image is now being stretched, and depending on the TV and the quality of the image processing chips inside it, will look worse to some degree. Add to that the fact that the signal being broadcast by Sky is also compressed and you see why you're picture isn't quite what you were hoping for.

In other words; your TV is only as good as the signal you feed it. :)

And what is this "image lag" people keep talking about? I have a plasma (43" Pioneer) and nothing "lags" on mine. :confused:

Sponsored Links
And what is this "image lag" people keep talking about? I have a plasma (43" Pioneer) and nothing "lags" on mine. :confused:

Its not such a problem now as the technology is getting better every day, in any case its not really an issue for watching conventional tv but its an issue for console gamers, when you control your character or whatever, the screen can lag behind slightly.

Ah, sounds like the image processor in the TV struggling to keep up, most likely el-cheapo or older sets like you say.

Mine is two and a half years old and it has no such problems. And any new or half-decent sets should definitely be fine in that regard.

If you haven't checked, just go and have a look what your TV's contrast is set at. ;)
Mine was set at 100% :LOL:
This of course now poses the question of what should it be set to?
Told ya :p
Just turn it down until you start to lose definition, then stop. Do the same with colour and brightness - turn them down until the picture starts to look less good, then gradually turn each up one by one until you're happy. Set satellite output to RGB. If you have a decent DVD and TV, set them to component for a superior picture. Haven't bothered with HD as yet cause the boys at microsoft and sony haven't finished their p*ssi*g contest yet. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
A bit late, but I took it to mean "Back in the day when t.v's were well made...."

A bit late, but I took it to mean "Back in the day when t.v's were well made...."

TV's may have been better made in the old days, but they neded an awful lot more maintainence then than they do now. Between the 60's and the 80's we were forever having to call in the tv engineer to sort something or other. The last time I had to call someone in to repair the set was, I think, in 1992.

not so much how well made as what components, the CRT cannot at this moment in time be beaten by any other means of producing a quality tv picture.

not so much how well made as what components, the CRT cannot at this moment in time be beaten by any other means of producing a quality tv picture.

I see where you're coming from tim west, but we are delighted with the picture on our new flat screen and just hope that it requires as little maintainence as our previous (90's) CRT tv.

the CRT cannot at this moment in time be beaten by any other means of producing a quality tv picture

Tim is correct for now but it won't last. When transistors first found their way into TV sets the line output stage just HAD to be a valve. Not anymore. Some day solid state technology will take over the job of the last thermionic valve in the box and do it better. ;) ;) ;)

We have a 32in Panasonic flat screen TV. It may be plasma but then again it could be LCD. Who cares? Mrs B said earlier this evening that we couldn't get a better picture. Thank goodness for that because I was totally lost with the jargon of earlier posts.

I agree. The 42 Inch HD ready in our house Is producing a fantastic picture. The fact I got him down fron 850 to 499 made it much more bearable.

Oh, and I bagged the free 150 notes insurance.

David

We have a 32in Panasonic flat screen TV. It may be plasma but then again it could be LCD. Who cares? Mrs B said earlier this evening that we couldn't get a better picture. Thank goodness for that because I was totally lost with the jargon of earlier posts.

I agree. The 42 Inch HD ready in our house Is producing a fantastic picture. The fact I got him down fron 850 to 499 made it much more bearable.

Oh, and I bagged the free 150 notes insurance.

David

We also got a great bargain from the store that guarantees all their TV's for 5 years.

Be carful with your terminology. Flat screen can apply to all types of screens. I have a flatscreen CRT.

Other terminology:

LCD panel
Plasma screen

You can take as read that (for now*) LCD and Plasma will be flat screen.

*They are actually working on a bendy version of LCD. Dont ask who 'they' are. I cant tell you.

new flat screen and just hope that it requires as little maintainence as our previous (90's) CRT tv.
Ah this depends - is it a plasma or an LCD? ;)

Just looked up the instruction book Steve and it's an LCD. Now why didn't I do that in the first place? The answers to that question could be most entertaining.

Sponsored Links
Back