HE Cylinder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. About to order an indirect vented hot water cylinder and decided to go for a high recovery type. Not sure which size to get.

Only one bathroom but I have a large 1800x800 bath. The CentreCyl looks good but the largest they do is 120 litre which is surely not enough. Range Ultracal are a bit pricey. Gledhill Condencyl do 140 or 170 litre which sounds more like it but Gledhill don’t seem to have a good image on here.

Any recommendations on which brand and size to get?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The full capacity of your bath is probably over 200 Litres, but have you considered that the 'working capacity' will be less (you need room to get yourself into the bath as well as the water, and have a bit of room to splash about), and your stored hot water temperature, which will affect the ratio of hot to cold water you fill the bath with?

If the bath holds, say, 220 Litres, and you displace, say, 60 litres of that water, you will only need 160 Litres of water.

If your hot water is stored at, say, 60 degrees, and cold water is at, say, 20 degrees, you will need a 50/50 blend of hot and cold water to fill the bath with water at 40 degrees.

So you end up using 80 litres of hot water to fill your 220 litre bath.

I just picked those numbers out of thin air, but you get the picture. Plug your own numbers in and see what happens.

Our old (non fast-recovery) 120 Litre cylinder, with cylinder stat set at 65 degrees, is capable of filling a 190 Litre bath twice in about 40 minutes without problems.

Sponsored Links
Hello. Went for a Gledhill Condencyl 166litre in the end. Was by far the cheapest brand and have had no problems. Only issue was that it had a 22mm compression fitting on the top so couldnt fit a surrey flange. I installed it with the 45 degree tree as the thread showed. Never had a problem with it since. I think that Gledhill will fit alternative connections if you ask for no extra cost.

Gledhill cylinders are quite good. What is not so good are their thermal store systems, ie the Boilermate. You won't be disappointed with your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back