Head Lights Not Working MOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cars due an MOT

Bulbs in headlights do not work.

Is it true that if I were to disconnect the wire that connects to the headlights, then the mechanic cannot fail the vehicle on the basis that the headlights could not be tested?

The vehicle was built before 2006

Sponsored Links
Is it true that if I were to disconnect the wire that connects to the headlights, then the mechanic cannot fail the vehicle on the basis that the headlights could not be tested?
Yes. Or paint over them or cover them up.

You do not need to test headlamps on vehicles that are not fitted with position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked, that are:
  • only used during daylight hours, and
  • not used at times of seriously reduced visibility
You will have to tell them that it’s only used during daylight hours and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility. If you do that and the rest if the car is okay, you’ll be issued with a pass and an advisory saying they were not tested as they were disconnected/painted Over/covered up at the time of the test.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP said "headlights not working".
Yes, he did but he also asked: "Is it true that if I were to disconnect the wire that connects to the headlights, then the mechanic cannot fail the vehicle on the basis that the headlights could not be tested?"
You guessed 'No', which was a wrong guess.

He did not say "permanently disconnected, painted over or masked, that are only used during daylight hours, and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility".

If on an MOT I discover that one of the headlights is not working although it was yesterday, can I just disconnect the two headlight cables and all will be well and pass?

Not road legal as you may need to use headlights during daylight hours in case of poor visibility.

He did not say "permanently disconnected, painted over or masked, that are only used during daylight hours, and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility".
He said disconnect. Do you think the tester will enter into an argument about whether that is a permanent or temporary disconnection? What about if they are blanked off - would that be permanent or temporary?

If on an MOT I discover that one of the headlights is not working although it was yesterday, can I just disconnect the two headlight cables and all will be well and pass?
Yes. See the wording of the rules I cut and pasted in post #4

Last edited:
Chaps, listen, I used to be a mot tester and I am still fully conversant with the regs. Mot standards are just there to be applied by the mot tester. His/her job is not to ponder on what they think they should be. The rules are the rules and testers are just there to test a vehicle according to those rules. If the rules say disconnected/painted over/removed/blanked off and they are, that’s it whether you agree with it or not! No argument. Move on.

Last edited:
Ok. You are the expert.
Thank you.

It doesn't make sense to me.
And often not to me.

Can I disconnect the handbrake if it doesn't work?
No. You must have a secondary brake that works unless the car was first used before 1906.

You can take the windscreen out if it’s cracked and then that and the wipers cannot be tested or failed.

You can remove the rear seats and then the seat belts can’t be tested or failed….

Sponsored Links
Back