Missing bottom bolt and plastic on headlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car: Suzuki Alto GL, 1.0 L, 2006 reg.

Hi, my car has failed the MOT because the nearside light is loose. Ive tightened the top bolt onto the bonnet, but its missing a piece of plastic on the bottom where the bottom bolt fits into and through to the car.
The thing is this is a replacement light i purchased as the one i had before was broken from the top too.

The guy said it might move about when the car goes over a bump or something.

My question is, can i use a sillicone sealant or something similar to glue the light to the bottom part of where it touches the car? If so, is this a good fit:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_749361_langId_-1_categoryId_255230

Cheers for the help guys (Y),

More info:

Suzuki Alto headlights are INCREDIBLE hard to find, and the one replacement i found in Barnet, the mechanic struggled to remove the headlight, so she removed it by breaking it slightly at the bottom, so the bit of the headlight where the bolt is attached is still stuck to the car.

I had the same problem on my Alto, it was IMPOSSIBLE to remove the bottom bolt off the boken headlight so i ripped it off, still leaving the plastic intact.

The MOT guy said as long as the light is secured he doesnt care about the missing nut.

Sponsored Links
Its necessary to remove the front bumper to access the headlight on these, but so long as the lamp doesn't flap about and the adjustment is fine it will pass the MOT without problems.
Silicone is a sealant first and adhesive second - although its fine over a large area!
Nothing to lose by giving it a try.
John :)

Its necessary to remove the front bumper to access the headlight on these, but so long as the lamp doesn't flap about and the adjustment is fine it will pass the MOT without problems.
Silicone is a sealant first and adhesive second - although its fine over a large area!
Nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Thing is, its failed its MOT twice now. Fixed the other 8 problems it had, but this one is not bugging off, so i do have something to lose :cry:

If i apply the sealant across the underside of the headlight, will it be stable enough for at least a day. If that works, I will have to mark July 16th as Apply Sealant on N/S headlight day from now on, to get it to pass the MOT every year henceforth!

Once the lamp is stuck in place, you can expect it to remain there......until you need to replace a bulb of course!

Sponsored Links
Or sticks like s*it, or a hot glue gun or epoxy resin or some sort of bolted metal (light gauge) bracket?

Nozzle

Back