What Do People Generally Do About Headlights For Continent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I went to the Czech Republic for a couple of months in 2021 I bought a pair of pattern left-hand drive headlights cheaply and fitted them for the trip. When I returned I swapped back to the originals. Was a complete faff as on my van I have to almost remove the bumper to get at one lower bolt on each light.

On my subsequent shorter trips I couldn't be bothered so just left the RHD lights on and drove with those - no problems. I was interested to see what others did with their headlights so made a point of looking to see if any lens diverters fitted on the cars queueing for ferry and on the ferry. Couldn't see anyone who had fitted anything.

So what do people normally do on continent - just drive with unconverted RHD headlights? Or do modern vehicles have some system to adapt for driving on the right?

Sponsored Links
You know, I do think that all European countries, in fact all throughout the world, should drive on the left as we do.
Why? Well, this stems from Roman times when horse riders rode on the left of roads so that they could defend themselves (using their right hand) when approaching a rider coming the other way.
I have no idea why someone (in a foreign country) decided to do the opposite, and for what reason.
(Sorry. Not really an answer to the question!)

I never bothered when going to France or Belgium but never drove at night while we were there just early mornings and evenings when it was dark but not pitch black. I suspect it would depend if you were unlucky enough to get stopped by the police for some other reason eg. speeding when they might give the vehicle a thorough check.

I never bothered when going to France or Belgium but never drove at night while we were there just early mornings and evenings when it was dark but not pitch black. I suspect it would depend if you were unlucky enough to get stopped by the police for some other reason eg. speeding when they might give the vehicle a thorough check.

I've done a fair bit of night driving since I've been here and no oncoming drivers seem concerned by my unconverted headlights that dip in their direction. Even though I have upgraded to new Philips bulbs that claim to offer 200% more light than original bulbs. Saying that, some of the new cars with high output LEDs, etc seem quite dazzling at night.

Sponsored Links
Why? Well, this stems from Roman times when horse riders rode on the left of roads so that they could defend themselves (using their right hand) when approaching a rider coming the other way.
I have no idea why someone (in a foreign country) decided to do the opposite, and for what reason.
I believe (might just be a myth) that Napoleon decided to 'drive' on the right just to be different than Britain then Europe followed.

However the USA decided on right-hand-drive driving on the right because of guns rather than swords; i.e. keeping your weapon hand away from the approaching rider.
Another reason was with coach and horses where the driver sat on the left so that (most being right-handed) the whip was in the centre of the two rows of horses and therefore drove on the right so that he could better see the road ahead while sat on the left.

Or maybe they all, except Japan, just got it wrong.

Edited mistake.

Last edited:
I believe (might just be a myth) that Napoleon decided to 'drive' on the right just to be different than Britain then Europe followed.

However the USA decided on right-hand-drive driving on the right because of guns rather than swords; i.e. keeping your weapon hand away from the approaching rider.
Another reason was with coach and horses where the driver sat on the left so that (most being right-handed) the whip was in the centre of the two rows of horses and therefore drove on the right so that he could better see the road ahead while sat on the left.

Or maybe they all, except Japan, just got it wrong.

Edited mistake.
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks. Typical bloody Napoleon, though!

1 in 10 000. Use the headline height--positioning to the lowest position to avoid offending oncoming drivers.

Before I went to the Czech Republic for a couple of months in 2021 I bought a pair of pattern left-hand drive headlights cheaply and fitted them for the trip. When I returned I swapped back to the originals. Was a complete faff as on my van I have to almost remove the bumper to get at one lower bolt on each light.

On my subsequent shorter trips I couldn't be bothered so just left the RHD lights on and drove with those - no problems. I was interested to see what others did with their headlights so made a point of looking to see if any lens diverters fitted on the cars queueing for ferry and on the ferry. Couldn't see anyone who had fitted anything.

So what do people normally do on continent - just drive with unconverted RHD headlights? Or do modern vehicles have some system to adapt for driving on the right?

If you're going abroad enough to warrant it, might altering your bumper (to enable you to get to the lower bolts) be an option?

As you've said you're willing to do the swaps, of course.

In answer to the OP's question, I've always used the stick-on beam deflectors. That said, on more modern lights, the dip cut-off is software-controlled, so you can often change them from left to right hand dip in the vehicle settings on the dashboard.

If you're going abroad enough to warrant it, might altering your bumper (to enable you to get to the lower bolts) be an option?

As you've said you're willing to do the swaps, of course.

I did think of that. The two bolts at the top of each headlight take seconds to remove, but each headlight has a single bolt at the bottom which is hidden behind the top of the bumper. The bumper virtually needs to be completely removed just for two bolts. As the bumper is plastic, I suppose I could drill one hole under each headlight allowing access to each bolt.

Sponsored Links
Back