Lucky escape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago, innocently driving home from work, I left a dual carriageway road to turn right at a flyover roundabout. As I came round the roundabout, approaching my exit, I saw a car heading towards the roundabout on my left, i.e. joining it from the opposite direction from the dual carriageway I had just left.

I had this instant feeling that he wasn't planning on stopping, and almost as instantly I went through the options:

1) Slow down and let him go
2) Speed up and zip round in front of him
3) Give him horns and lights

As I went through these alternatives, I thought:

1) WTF should I, it's my right of way
2) Bit dodgy - might not make it
3) Horns & lights it is, then.

A that time I drove a car which had a fair amount of auxiliary lighting and a very loud horn, and when 850W of lights and 5 airhorns driven by 2 compressors erupted a few yards from him, then he spotted me, and then he gave way. Rather suddenly.

However, I couldn't help noticing, as I sailed off down the road, that he'd followed me, and I was sure, from the angle at which he'd been approaching the roundabout, that turning left had not been his plan, and therefore following me was a last minute decision.

I was further convinced of this by the fact that he was driving very close behind me, main beam on (it was dark), and blowing his horn.

As I sped up, to try and get away, I thought to myself "You bl**dy idiot, why didn't you let him go - now look, you've got some road-rage maniac on your tail."

It was a 30mph zone, and we were up to 80mph as I came over the bridge by a tube station and saw a red light ahead. I was able to stop, and as I slowed down, I hit the driver's door lock to trigger the central locking. I stopped at the white line, closely watching the traffic on the other road, thinking that if anybody got out of the other car I'd be off, red light or no.

The other car drew alongside me on the right, went over the white line a bit, and pulled to the left in front of me.

Oh sh*t.

As the passenger door opened, and an arm wrapped in blue serge came out, followed by the rest of the body, also clad in blue serge, and now donning a peaked cap with a fetching black & white checkered band on it - Oh f*ck.

Meanwhile, all the other drivers we'd passed had arrived at the lights and were watching with interest.

In reply to the enquiry about what the hell I thought I was doing, I could only say the truth - I thought I was fleeing from someone planning to drag me out of the car and beat me up.

"Didn't you know we were the Police?"

"No - it's dark, your car is unmarked, has no hidden blue lights, no siren, just ordinary headlights and an ordinary horn, and because you were right on my tail with main beam on I couldn't see who was in the car. After I blew my horn and flashed my lights at you back at the roundabout you took off after me. I didn't know who you were, and I was afraid for my safety."

They let me go.

Sponsored Links
I am lucky in that my previous occupation was with the police, and therefore I know that they are just as human as the rest of us, and also that they are answerable to the law. Sadly with any enforcement agency you will have those who believe they are above the law.
I was on the M25 one day on the inside of the three through lanes of a four lane section when a police car on the hard shoulder put on it's blue light and moved off fast coming towards my lane; I may have been in his blind spot but I was not going to drastically change my speed from the 70 I was at, especially with traffic all round me, and confident that I could survive a side swipe. With my hand on the horn and my fist waving at the idiot, I could clearly see the look on his passengers face as he was shouting at the driver, with them now veering back to the left of the lanes. I was already preparing my verbal attack should they ever stop me; they never passed me, so I presume that if it wasn't the shock that kept them back, then they took another route.

planenut said:
I am lucky in that my previous occupation was with the police, and therefore I know that they are just as human as the rest of us, and also that they are answerable to the law.
I always try to remind myself, re traffic police, that they often have to scrape people up from the road, and naturally develop an attitude to wrongdoing.

Like millions of motorists, I've had a few minor brushes with them - nothing more serious than speeding, and they've been fair and reasonable, unfair and unreasonable, courteous, sarky, but never aggressive or unpleasant.

But some don't just think they are above the law - they are often placed above the law. How many times have we heard of speeding police cars having accidents, and the driver is not charged with causing death by dangerous driving like Joe Public would have been?

Consider too the case of that poor sod who was shot dead by a policeman because he was carrying a chair leg. Police marksmen always claim that disabling shots are impractical, that you have to shoot to kill, because otherwise the target could still use his weapon against them or the public. So I think it's fair to say that when Harry Stanley was shot, he was deliberately killed.

A coroner's court has recently ruled that the killing was unlawful.

I always thought that a deliberate unlawful killing was murder.

I wait in vain for the officer in question to be charged with murder.

And that incident is not the first time that the police have shot someone, and then said "Oh, I'm sorry, I made a mistake". If I make a mistake with my car and kill someone, I can't walk away from it by saying that, and it should be the same with police shootings.

A tragic result, glad I didn't have to make a decision on that one !

Sponsored Links
It is hard for the police though, they won't shoot someone unless they feel they have to. Unfortunately, 90% of the time that person waving "what may be a gun" is not in a state of mind to understand that they will get shot, and that them getting shot will be a bad thing. Whether that state of mind is permanent or temporary. And it is true that disabling shots are impractical... they aim for the stomach because a) it is the easiest part to hit and b) it is almost impossible to try and shoot back after being hit in the stomach, as opposed to kneecaps or an arm.

However I do object to the apparent rule that assaulting or killing a policeman is any worse than the same crime on a member of JP. Murder is murder.

A little tip: if you are in London, especially around the Kensington/Belgravia areas, and you see a red policecar... don't walk in front of it. They are the diplomatic protection police and if they run you over whilst in a hurry, they are allowed to continue without stopping! Plus they all have big guns.

250px-London.police.car.arp.750pix.jpg

thats not quite true.
the red police cars are the "city police" whilst most do carry guns, not all of them do.
Also i have seen and spoken to several polcie officers who were armed (and leged :LOL: ) and they were in a silver police car.
The officer i spoke to only had a small side arm, he said thats nothing, go and see my mates outside, so i did, 3 of them sitting in the car all with automatics.
the ones you really have to watch out for are the "diplomatic police" they drive mostly unmarked cars and are armed

I should also point out that it is quite common to have silver police cars in London (i believe this has been mentioned before, its to do with the re sale of the vehicle)

one thing i will say, if its late at night, and you want a cup of tea, ask a police man, that is how i found out about them, ( i was working "nights" and was looking for a cup of tea) they always know where the nearest 24 hour garage is

AdamW said:
It is hard for the police though, they won't shoot someone unless they feel they have to. Unfortunately, 90% of the time that person waving "what may be a gun" is not in a state of mind to understand that they will get shot, and that them getting shot will be a bad thing. Whether that state of mind is permanent or temporary. And it is true that disabling shots are impractical... they aim for the stomach because a) it is the easiest part to hit and b) it is almost impossible to try and shoot back after being hit in the stomach, as opposed to kneecaps or an arm.

However I do object to the apparent rule that assaulting or killing a policeman is any worse than the same crime on a member of JP. Murder is murder.

A little tip: if you are in London, especially around the Kensington/Belgravia areas, and you see a red policecar... don't walk in front of it. They are the diplomatic protection police and if they run you over whilst in a hurry, they are allowed to continue without stopping! Plus they all have big guns.

250px-London.police.car.arp.750pix.jpg

Just armed response units. Not diplomatic protection mate. They are everywhere in central london and you are right..........armed to the hilt! Breezer old bud,not just city police mate, all over

well thats what he told me. also i did only see red police cars in the W8 area, silver or white every where else, must have been my lucky night (no red ones)

I worked for the metropolitan police engineers in the 70's so saw their operations and the way they act towards the public from a non policeman perspective and i have to say that from desk sergeant to section house sergeant and above also D11 they would treat you reasonably chat with you on a level, ranks below treated you with contempt, wouldn't give you the time of day, and generally made your job harder to do as they wouldn't want to co-operate with you even if it was for their advantage!
It was true what one colleague said, that they become so embroiled in their life as policemen and women they can't seem to integrate properly with ordinary folk and that is why such a high proportion of the married couples are both in the force.
Unfortunately because of the official secrets act i cannot be specific about things i saw but just let me say it was an eye opener!

A friend of mine is a copper with Thames Valley. A really nice bloke, but he does love a good punch up.

With regard to armed police, they're not actually trained to shoot to kill. It's called shoot to stop. That means hitting the largest area of the body with two shots, (double tap). Unfortunately if you get shot twice in the chest with a 9mm round, you are almost certainly going to die.

Interesting Ban,

makes you wonder what the outcome would have been if you didn't speak in such a rational manner? I guess most people would just shout and bawl and subsequently end up in deeper trouble!

Also, I believe that you are not obliged to stop for an unmarked Police Car, for the reasons of car-jacking etc. (much easier to steal car with keys nowadays!) so, if you know your location drive to a Police Station if practical or phone 999.

I've mentioned it on this site before about a little incident with someone cutting me up and then flashing a (badge?) at me indicating to pull over... Kn*b!

What really gripped though was it was him at fault!

mildmanneredjanitor said:
I've mentioned it on this site before about a little incident with someone cutting me up and then flashing a (badge?) at me indicating to pull over... Kn*b!

What really gripped though was it was him at fault!

Someone who pretends to be a police officer when he takes offence to the driving of others is going to get himself into a lot of trouble soon enough... it is just a matter of time until he tries it with a real police officer! 6 months maximum sentence. :LOL:

Yes, but Adam, a civilian reporting a non-event like the one I encountered would be politely told there was nothing that could be done.

On the other hand, if an officer...

Unfortunately, the law seems to be biased towards the pratt in this country... :evil:

Unfortunately, the law seems to be biased towards the pratt in this country... :evil:

Do you know what, after reading this I set out to find Pratt's who had been sentenced for crimes in the UK, but to no avail!

I found Steve Pratt who was arrested in Yugoslavia due to Flobadob Milosevic.

Then there is Joe Pratt who nicked money from his employer.

However, I DID find that there is a District Judge, called Christopher Pratt down at Bow Street Magistrates Court. So one may indeed summise that although the law may not be "biased towards the pratt in this country", it is certainly applied by a Pratt, at least in Bow Street Magistrates Court. ;)

Postscript: I would like to point out that from what I have read about C Pratt, it would be reasonable to conclude that he is in fact a great judge and a top bloke.

Further to the "what would have happened if you hadn't been nice" comment - I used to be in the police,and with most summary offences,there are four courses of action :-
1)No action
2)Verbal warning
3)Summons/fixed penalty notice etc.
4)Arrest

The way it works is,you normally approach people with the intention of a verbal warning,and their reaction to you makes you work up or down the list - so it's always worth being nice :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back