Roundabouts

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Well I never thought I'd defend the place, but I don't think it's as bad as some people think.

Remember the campaings in the 1980s to move to MK? Imagine if Eddie had been in charge of advertising: "Come and live in Milton Keynes, it isn't as bad as you think." :LOL:

Pipme said:
Another pet hate ... mini roundabouts, offset to 'main' road

I have one on my way to work. You have to go pretty slow to make it round and take a rather wide approach. I had someone the other week who assumed I was turning left because of this, went round the wrong way and ended up heading straight for my drivers' side :eek:

The whole issue of New Towns: I was once driving in Harlow in Essex late at night. In my tired state I thought I was going the right way until I realised I was actually confusing it with another New Town I had driven in recently. Seriously, it seemed identical to me! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Talking of people not knowing where they are going, years ago i was on a motorcycle following a taxi, he indicated to turn left just before a turning and then started to turn left so i manouvered to overtake him on the right to which he then swung a right ( he was attempting a U-Turn!) all i could do was put out a hand onto his wing and follow him around so ending up facing the other direction on the other side of the road! fancy indicating left if he'd indicated right i would have known what he was about to do, The Pillock!!

AdamW said:
Eddie M said:
Well I never thought I'd defend the place, but I don't think it's as bad as some people think.

.......Imagine if Eddie had been in charge of advertising: "Come and live in Milton Keynes, it isn't as bad as you think." :LOL:
Pipme said:
Another pet hate ... mini roundabouts, offset to 'main' road
I have one on my way to work. You have to go pretty slow to make it round and take a rather wide approach. I had someone the other week who assumed I was turning left because of this, went round the wrong way and ended up heading straight for my drivers' side :eek:

Kiss of death for MK !! ;)
Nearly the same for the Adamant .. ;)

Precisely the problem with stupidly placed roundabouts and / or drivers not prepared to think ... time, motion and 'does it make a crucial difference in slowing down such that decision making includes more options !! Like not ramming the vehicle in front being driven correctly'

P

This
perhaps you lot hven't seen or heard of "the magic roundabout" in hemel hempstead
is the worst roundabout in Britain. I don't know what warped mind put it together, all I know is that the first two times I came across it I nearly had an accident each occasion. I'm surprised it's still in existance.

Desktop engineering at its worst, looks good on paper but practically flawed ..... as in dangerous !!

P

You know what might work better than mini-roundabouts? Proper roundabouts. No-one would gain anything by bumping up a kerb-height roundabout, more likely they would lose a wheel. But then you get the problem: what about the buses?

Well, in many city centres they have bollards that automatically drop away when they sense a bus. Why not have roundabouts that sink into the ground when they sense a bus coming, thus allowing them to cut across? You could even have pressure sensors that measure the weight of the vehicle waiting to cross so lorries would be OK too.

But, I suppose it gets a bit complicated if you do that, and who wants to be stuck behind the queue on the day the mechanism jams and buses have to bump the kerb?

So why not replace mini roundabouts with proper roundabouts where feasible? It wouldn't cost much more than a speed hump and would actually be of use.

perhaps you lot hven't seen or heard of "the magic roundabout" in hemel hempstead

Oh I don't know I quite like it. I always deliberately drive the "wrong" way around it, The look of abject confusion on other motorists faces is quite amusing.

Eddie M said:

Oh I don't know I quite like it. I always deliberately drive the "wrong" way around it, The look of abject confusion on other motorists faces is quite amusing.

Typical 'tank' driver .. you lot always drive the 'wrong way' ... ;)

pipme said:
Eddie M said:

Typical 'tank' driver .. you lot always drive the 'wrong way' ... ;)

Hmmm, haven't taken the 'tank' around it yet, but I think you've just seeded an amusing experiment, I shall drive half way around, the "wrong" way, do a 180 (270?) on one of the mini roundabouts, and go round the right way, all perfectly legal, if somewhat daft :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back