Roundabouts

Awkward road layouts .. Part of overall plan to dissuade driving ... Or due to councils employing consultants for road planning rather than having their own, accountable experts ? and / or the 'experts' have a 45% A* in Traffic Management !!
Or was that a D- in Traffic Management which becomes an A* in Traffic misManagement.

Bath and North East Somerset council collected more than £1,000,000 in parking fines last year !!
If you ever drive in Bath (Car hating council ) beware of 'Resident Parking ' situations, look for the small plate carrying this information, not always easy to spot ... Just beware of unusually useful looking (as in empty !!) parking spaces ...

;)

Sponsored Links
Not entirely related to this, but I was being followed by a policeman today who was flagrantly breaching rule 95 of the Highway Code for the mile he was behind me. It was raining heavily, visibility was reduced, yet he was driving around with his PARKING lights on. If it wasn't for the luminous stripes all over his car I might not have seen him in my mirror.

95) You should use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

Now, I know this says "should", not "must", but one would expect a police driver to exhibit a higher standard of driving ability. I wonder what would have happened if I had got out at the lights and informed him of his poor driving? :LOL: Is there such a charge as "Being a smart a*se on the public highway"? :LOL:

AdamW said:

def: a cracker who works for spammers.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

When my brother and myself were young, we were not allowed to call each other "spastic". So, we coined the term "spacker" instead, e.g. "Durrr, Optimus Prime is a much better Transformer than Soundwave, you spacker." However it was still used in the popular playground chant, "Girls are spastic, boys are elastic.", the converse to this if being chanted by the girls. But I digress.

My usage of the word "spacker" predates this more modern corruption of the noun. I shall be registering my displeasure with the OED forthwith. I also intend to register it as intellectual property of myself, perhaps with the same lawyers who reckon they can prove Warner Bros own the word "Shire". I request you all cease and desist with use of the word "spacker" for any purpose other than in the prescribed manner above. And WB request that anyone who lives in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Herefordshire, Aberdeenshire, or any of the 57 'shires in England, Wales and Scotland, must now move as they own them. We all have to move to counties without Shire... ;)

Have a read of this...

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
That is plain mental! Never seen anything as bad as THAT! The most stupid roundabout system I have recently been on is near Hazlemere in Bucks (cue Eddie :D ), two mini roundabouts pretty much on top of each other where people just sit there waiting because they aren't sure who has priority (back to the "do you give way to the right" rule)

Just seen that, yep totally agree a nightmare situation, still at least there are 2 petrol stations and a pub at the crossroads, so either you'll not want for petrol, or you can give up and go for a drink! Still not as bad as MK, roundabout city, boasts an impressive 187 of the fellas, I reckon I went round every one the other week, when I was trying to find something in the darned placed :!:

MK wonderful place .. when you live in Summer-set !!

Another pet hate ... mini roundabouts, offset to 'main' road .. with long approaches to painted island ... poor design .. people actually 'straight line' through driving wrong side of island in direct contravention of Highway code ... even when all approaches have give way lines .. the main road users rarely give way to vehicles already on 'long approach' from minor but equal status side road.

I think roundabouts are being sprinkled hither and thither .. in places where they are patently more hazardous than of worth. ... As has been said ' Who really cares ? "
I will get a pix of our (obviously) stupid mini roundabout soon !!

P

pipme said:
MK wonderful place .. when you live in Summer-set !!

Another pet hate ... mini roundabouts, offset to 'main' road .. with long approaches to painted island ... poor design .. people actually 'straight line' through driving wrong side of island in direct contravention of Highway code ... even when all approaches have give way lines .. the main road users rarely give way to vehicles already on 'long approach' from minor but equal status side road.

I think roundabouts are being sprinkled hither and thither .. in places where they are patently more hazardous than of worth. ... As has been said ' Who really cares ? "
I will get a pix of our (obviously) stupid mini roundabout soon !!

P

Well I never thought I'd defend the place, but I don't think it's as bad as some people think. Certainly nicer than some towns I could mention, in fact I started to, but then I realised I may well be alienating some DIYnot'ers... so perhaps a little discretion!!

Worked in MK for a while .. no real problem ... 'cept the plastic animals.
arf, arf, arf !! Anchors weigh-hay. ;)

P

what happened to the concrete cows in stacey bushes? (thats a place)

as for naigating in MK its not too bad, all main roads have a letter i.e H3 monks way, also V* marlboorough street.

Now as MK main roads are in a grid system, H actually stands for horizontal, and V is for vertical.

Armed with this you should be able to figure out where you are

How ever, if you go into to an estate, you can come in one way and out another, which then means you don't have a clue where you are.

as for resident only parking bays there are loads of them in London, so ALWAYS check the notice before parking.

That said. some do not come into force untill 09:00, some in Ealing (W5) not untill October (anually)
I have even seen some that are resident only for one hour, which i presume is to stop people leaving their car there all day, and getting on a train

I think the road planners in Bracknell wern't given enough free rein to create roundabouts so upped and moved to MK :)

breezer said:
what happened to the concrete cows in stacey bushes? (thats a place)

as for naigating in MK its not too bad, all main roads have a letter i.e H3 monks way, also V* marlboorough street.

Now as MK main roads are in a grid system, H actually stands for horizontal, and V is for vertical.

Armed with this you should be able to figure out where you are

How ever, if you go into to an estate, you can come in one way and out another, which then means you don't have a clue where you are.

as for resident only parking bays there are loads of them in London, so ALWAYS check the notice before parking.

That said. some do not come into force untill 09:00, some in Ealing (W5) not untill October (anually)
I have even seen some that are resident only for one hour, which i presume is to stop people leaving their car there all day, and getting on a train

The centre is a grid system, but on the outskirts the H and V stuff breaks down into chaotic nonsense, plus some fiend has done something that renders the electronic compass in my car useless, I just sit back and enjoy the fact that I shall be visiting somewhere new everytime I visit good old MK (probably around the 20th of Dec)!! The concrete cows were removed after they were vandalised, but I think they are replacing them, wouldn't swear to that though. One thing I've never really experienced in MK is much in the way of traffic jams, OK the A5 in rush hour is a bit busy, but the centre is pretty much OK.

next time you visit MK (anybody) try this:

as soon as you get into MK, start stopwatch, after 5 mins look behind you, there will be a red car right behind you.

I think ther must be a lot of red cars in MK

Eddie M said:
..........One thing I've never really experienced in MK is much in the way of traffic jams, OK the A5 in rush hour is a bit busy, but the centre is pretty much OK.

Speaks for itself then dunnit !! Peeps keeping clear ?

I must say, I drove straight to my destination in MK from Brissel no problem at all, even though I was driving an Astra ..

P

Ah, ha ... But I too am good at awakening early ... Up and away before the rest of the lazy bar-tenders have finished scratching their a rs es !!

;)

Sponsored Links
Back