Head Lights Not Working MOT

Has the OP checked the obvious - for a feed at the bulbs? It’s not unknown for both bulbs to have blown. Not both at the same time but first one and then later, the other.

Sponsored Links
I don't get it, why would you want to drive a car that had deffective headlights, (I may be wrong) but I don't think it's been mentioned what car it is other than pre-2006 so prehaps a classic I don't know but it can't be that hard to fix the headlights in a car of that age, just bloody stupid, fix the lights FFS.

1698963301719.png

Sponsored Links
I knew it.. I remember reading about this crazy leeway from an MOT tester years back.

I also knew that i would probably get mocked/laughed at due to the premise of the thread

@Mottie top man for clearing things up and saving the day :giggle:

He who laughs last, laughs longest.
He did not say "permanently disconnected, painted over or masked, that are only used during daylight hours, and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility".

If on an MOT I discover that one of the headlights is not working although it was yesterday, can I just disconnect the two headlight cables and all will be well and pass?
When it comes to Electrics, you are undefeated. However, in this case you got it wrong.

Take it like a man @EFLImpudence :mrgreen:

Fair enough.

I should still be interested to know what happened at an MoT on a standard vehicle with the headlights not working.

Bulbs in headlights do not work.

Is it true that if I were to disconnect the wire
The wire is already disconnected; a burnt out bulb literally is a disconnected wire

You could see if your local test station is amenable to giving you an MOT pass with an advisory that your vehicle was not fitted with lights at the time of test and must be used during daylight hours only.. It's fairly common for motorcycles, but note that that in that scenario there are no lights fitted to the vehicle, and that's different to your scenario of "fitted but not working". Whether the tester will accept that you pulling the plug out of the back of the light is "permanently disconnecting" it is for your tester to advise

Last edited:
You could see if your local test station is amenable to giving you an MOT pass with an advisory that your vehicle was not fitted with lights at the time of test and must be used during daylight hours only..
That cannot say that. All they can say on the advisory is something along the lines of “Headlamps permanently disconnected at time of test. Headlamps not tested”

Unless the tester can see that the lamps are connected at the time of the test, they have to accept if told, that they are disconnected. They are not allowed to remove any covers to check the connection.

Just interested.

I think we have agreed the rules don't make much sense as stated.

Is this even more non-sensical?

1699028924965.png

Forget anything other than the official inspection manual which testers have to refer to. This is the section on lighting.

That cannot say that. All they can say on the advisory is something along the lines of “Headlamps permanently disconnected at time of test. Headlamps not tested”

Unless the tester can see that the lamps are connected at the time of the test, they have to accept if told, that they are disconnected. They are not allowed to remove any covers to check the connection.
That's all true.

But if such a vehicle is presented, with headlights fitted and not obscured in anyway by paint or masking etc then it has to be assumed the car is used in conditions that require headlights, and as such will fail the test, unless the presenter explains and justifies how and when the car is used.

If the car is to be used only in daylight hours and not at times of reduced visibility then the tester has to take note of the conditions on the day and time of the test. For example if the car has been driven to the test centre in poor light or poor conditions, then it is not used under the circumstances that allow for lights to be not working, and will (or should) fail the test.

Sponsored Links
Back