Header tank ballcock replaced but no hot water/pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced the header ballcock valve as it was faulty and overflowing. But i have a problem with the hot water. It has lost pressure in the first floor bathroom (basin, bath and shower), the kitchen sink pressure appears ok.
The ballcock valve appears to be working fine. The boiler is a condensing boiler. Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Leave the hot kitchen tap open and see if it pulls the air out or the water stops. Make sure all other taps are closed.

Come back with your finding.

Andy

Thanks Andy for your quick response! I have done as instructed (via a telephone call to my friend, whose house it is ) . The water was spluttering as if air was coming out.

Sponsored Links
We had tried running the water for over an hour :-/ The bathroom taps were still without pressure.

Close all taps
Place your hand under the spout of the kitchen mixer tap
Open hot tap
Then open the cold tap slowly - forcing cold water up the hot water pipe
Do this for sixty seconds
Now get someone to open the hot tap upstairs until water comes out
Move onto the next hot tap
Once water is coming out of all of the hot taps. Stop forcing water up the hot tap in the kitchen and check the rest of the tap

Andy

I have switched on the kitchen mixer and managed to stop the hot water coming out with my finger. But when I slowly turn on the cold water, it escapes past my finger. Whilst this is happening I have another person turning the hot tap on in the bathroom. Water in the bathroom runs out the tap instantly but loses pressure and ends as just a trickle.
Note the current situation is : the kitchen mixer is ok, the bathroom basin hot tap and bath hot tap and shower hot setting starts ok initially but the pressure begins to fail almost instantly ending in just a trickle.

slowly turn on the cold water, it escapes past my finger. .
Use the palm of your hand - I do :idea: or buy a hosepipe connector for the mixer tap ( Hoselok ) and put your finger over the hose end ;)

I have managed that and forced cold water up the pipe to come out cold in both the bath and basin 'hot' taps. Having shut off the cold in the kitchen, the hot taps in the bathroom are still losing pressure.

Keep at it - you need to make the air bubble appear at the water tank - often with a satisfying 'burp' :p
Have someone to close the taps in the bathroom so your introduced water can get up to the tank.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back