Headlight lens cleaning/polish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an mot advisory to fix my cloudy headlight lens. See picture. I tried to hand polish with some Lamb Doctor paste hand polished but made no difference. I’ve got an angle grinder with a polishing pad should I try that? To me the lens looks cloudy on the inside but hard to tell! Any advice greatly appreciated.

upload_2020-12-6_12-7-28.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If it's really bad try some T Cut and elbow grease.....if you like, try some Solvol Autosol first which is slightly less abrasive - but very effective.
I think an angle grinder spins too fast for this.
John :)

Does anyone have any knowledge why this happens ? I have one cover brilliantly clear and another quite cloudy.

Sponsored Links
Get a plastic headlight restoration kit.
Generally consist of cream, some different grit pads and a polishing wheel that fits in a hand drill.
wipe on with rough grit, wipe off, going down to fine grit.
Use plenty of the water.
use the polishing head in the drill.

Takes about 1/2 hour to do a headlight and it comes up like new.

My astra was like that, MOT garage tried to get the car wash lads to polish it out but it was on the inside - age deterioration on a 12 year old car. In the end I just replaced them with some decent used off eBay for £50.
I recon in my case it was a bit of moss/algee growing on the inside as the as the car was low mileage/little used.

fwiw I did as I said above on my wifes micra, it bought it out good as new and then passed its MOT no problem.

It is very suspicious that a new person has just joined with a question, when you can go on youtube and see to 'how to fix the problem.' Then not return here to see what has been posted. :sneaky::sneaky:

Andy

It has been a problem with my headlight lens's for a few years. Its the polycarbonate lens, which suffers from UV. From the factory they come coated in a UV proof lacquer. The lacquer wears off and becomes part of the problem, so you need to cut the lens back to bare polycarbonate then reseal it with lacquer. Just cutting it back without the sealer will only last for weeks - I know, I have gone through the process lots of times.

Polycarbonate is tough, but it is very susceptible to UV damage.

The original lacquer is probably thicker than you imagine and it all needs to be cut back. The best way is using wet and dry, in various grades, finishing with 1200, which should leave it matt. It then needs to be polished to clear with Autosol, Brasso, toothpaste, jewellers rouge, or any fine none waxy abrasive.

Don't try to polish with a machine, if the pad/ wet & dry is dry, the polycarbonate will be melted, it's easy by hand.

Finally, once the lens is sparkling clear and like new, needs protecting immediately from the UV. You can buy UV proof lacquer suggested to be specially made for headlights, but I had some normal car body paint protection lacquer - so I tested that under extreme conditions. I polished up and sprayed a scrap lens, which I left directly exposed to the sun out in my garden since a year last May. It worked, there was no discolouration, so I then did my car's headlights with it and there has been no problem since then.

Sponsored Links
Back