Headlines Six tumble dryer fires in seven weeks but what type?

Sponsored Links
  1. Washing machines - 1104 fires (17.8%)
  2. Tumble dryers - 1072 fires (17.3%)
  3. Cookers (inc ovens) - 674 fires (10.9%)
  4. Dishwashers - 641 fires (10.3%)
  5. Refrigeration - 501 fires (8.1%)
  6. PC equipment - 53 fires (0.9%)
  7. Electric kettles - 49 (0.8%)
  8. vacuum cleaners - 38 fires (0.6%)
  9. Irons - 34 fires (0.5%)
  10. Audio equipment - 31 fires (0.5%)
The above is from Which and covers fires between 2014 and 2016.

Not particular helpful though given that we don't know, for example, how many homes have a washing machine.

I would imagine that nearly every house has a fridge and freezer. Many will have washing machines, but fewer will have dishwashers or tumble driers. If that is the case then those two items are over represented.

To be honest, I’d never leave a dishwasher/washing machine/tumbler (mine is a combo) on while I was out.
Dishwashers/clothes washers also have the ability to cause floods.
All of my stuff is quiet

I appreciate your point, but they have the ability to cause floods even when unplugged.

If likely sunny weather then drier used during the day, but if poor weather then used over night when on cheap grid tariff. I suppose since paid more for export during the day to what I pay for import over night should always use over night, and I would think the chance of a fire with a heat pump drier is low. Clearly nothing electrical is zero.

However we have a Fredy Boswell look alike telling us smart meters are good, and the whole gain from having a smart meter is the duel tariff, then another government body the BBC telling us not to use electric during the cheap rate. As only way to save when using the duel tariff is to set washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher to run over night.

Sponsored Links
However we have a Fredy Boswell look alike telling us smart meters are good, and the whole gain from having a smart meter is the duel tariff, then another government body the BBC telling us not to use electric during the cheap rate.

I don't know about your cheap rate, but my cheap rate can be any day of the week, but for a full 24 hours. If I could be bothered, I could opt in to make use of even cheaper short term tariffs, some even negative charges, where they pay you to use. All thanks to smart meters, and Freddy Boswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back