Headroom under stairs.

And don't disturb the wedge! Still not convinced that your steel will be stiff enough to support the outer stringer in the longer term

Sponsored Links
The landing steel in now in. Fairly straightforward with the messy bit being the new lintel.

IMG_20220511_215344036.jpg

The steel for the outer stringer is massively strong - it's 30mm deep and 20mm wide - I reckon I could hang a small car from it:

IMG_20220512_092426960.jpg

I just need to work out how best to enlarge the existing mortice in the newel post with my rudimentary tools so I can slot the steel in:

IMG_20220512_092449708.jpg

Strangely (certainly to me who's only ever built one staircase before) there are no wedges in this area of the staircase.

Attachments

• 16523447639613075811049072589674.jpg
    16523447639613075811049072589674.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 42
All done now. The existing mortice slot was pretty much the right size for the steel, just needed lengthening and widening a bit and some packing pieces inside before the steel slotted in:

IMG_20220516_131346896.jpg

IMG_20220516_135903179.jpg

IMG_20220516_150220024.jpg

IMG_20220516_162944630.jpg

All feels extremely solid, probably more than it did before as the glue blocks weren't doing much so I replaced them with a length of angle iron.

Although not possible to tell from the photos, the whole area feels a lot more spacious than it did before, and will be more so when I move th

how have you transferred the load from the bit off the string you have removed to the newel post ??
it looks like you have removed the bit from the string and just supported the tread??

Sponsored Links
ahh ok the bit with the spike just seen it (y)

Yes, I used a tube of PU40 for gapfilling and smeared it over the bottom leg - hopefully it will take filler better that the bare steel.

was it a good tight fit ??
this comment is mainly help others reading this thread for guidance
dont know the quality or characteristics off pu40 sealant but some shrink in use iff a large volume and can skin over and take ages to fully cure/harden but sure you will know that already

[wheres the smillies gone lol]

was it a good tight fit ??
this comment is mainly help others reading this thread for guidance
Well, we all like a tight fit, B-A. The one thing I'd caution against is just cutting into stringers like this. It doesn't always end well

no indeed not something i would do
my thoughts where lean from the main flight would be contained by the big square frame and not overly load the cut string sideways

Everything was pretty tight, just a thin layer to take out any minor unevenness, anything else would have been packed.

To be honest, I struggle to understand how the various forces on a staircase like this are carried - I look at them and think they should just collapse in a heap, but they don't. I did build my own (straight) staircase for my loft conversion some years ago and thought it was going to be a disaster - but it was quite amazing to just knock those wedges in and see a pile of wood turn into something rock solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back