Under stairs conversion, can I remove this piece?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The title pretty much sums this one up, our staircase is next to our living room and it has a plasterboard wall separating it with a small door way to make the area underneath the stairs into a cupboard.
What we'd like to do is remove some of the plasterboard wall to make the area into more usable space (stick the computer under it or similar)

I've had a look under the stairs and the post that is on the upstairs landing (think its called the newel post!?) is poking down a bit inside the area under - see next pic;

Is it safe to saw this back at the bottom so that it's in line with the stairs / stringer so that I'll have a little more 'headroom' and make it easier/neater to plasterboard under the stairs? - see last pic;

Cheers![/img]

Sponsored Links
yes but leave an inch to 40mm to make sure you don't remove the strength off the mortice
and make sure whats left is fully supported

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back