Hearth Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We had a cast iron combination fire replaced in our house a few months ago. The original had been removed in the 1970s to make way for a back boiler which had sat on a course of bricks laid on the constructional hearth.

To fit the new fire place the firm we employed knocked off the course of bricks and placed the new fire onto the constructional heath. (I know modern regs require an additional hearth on top but as all the other original fires in the house just sit on the constructional hearth and function safetly [touch wood] we were went for the tradtional option)

I have discovered this evening that they caused damage to to the constructional hearth at the back of the grate and beyond which they did not repair. As such there is damage in the constructional hearth at least an inch deep. Due to the fireplace being in situ there I cannot tell what state it is in back to the rear of the chimney breast.

Obviously this needs remedying before the fireplace can be used. Removing it to repair is not an option as the last coat of paint on my freshing papered and decorated room has gone on today. The fire will of course not be lit directly on the hearth but I am concerned about the potential for embers missing the ashpan and falling down into the damaged hearth behind the fireplace.

I have found these two products (links below) which I thought could be used for a repair. The screed fed into the front of the damage which is visable to fill up the space behind as much as possible and finished level with the back of the cast iron. Then the sealer to ensure and ember tight finish.

http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/products.asp?partno=HPS

http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=2353

What do people think of this solution? Any potential problems? Any other possible solutions?

I do intend first to get the firm who did the work back but I suspect their solution will be to superfically repair the damage with regular cement - not ideal.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

Sponsored Links
looks a perfectly good solution to me...in fact I`ve kept the link as I`m going to do some work on my open fireplace, for the old Yule Log ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back