Heat alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, what are the regs for heat alarm in the kitchen regarding location?

Linking with smoke alarms, one in hall and two in landing.

Smoke alarms are located so they are less than 7.5m from any bedroom.

Sponsored Links
so long as its a fixed tempature (you dont want rate of rise in a kitchen) I would put it in the middle of the available ceiling

i've got a kitchen/dining room in one. Is it best to locate this in dining area which is 6m away from hob to stop nuisance alarms.

if its heat it will go off at a fixed temp.

I would be inclined to put a smoke detector in

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies so far Breezer. I'm getting a bit confused now. So your saying to put a smoke alarm where i stated. Do you think that will work better(less false alarms)

a heat detector only detects.................heat

as its also a diner you may have more flamable stuff hence smoke detector.

unkess of course some one is a bad cook

Thanks for the wisdom that a heat detector detects heat :LOL:

I will put a smoke detector in instead in dining area. Just thought building regs required heat detector in kitchen.

DO NOT fit a smoke detector anywhere near the kitchen unless you want constant problems.

A fixed temperature heat detector is what is required

fixed heat detector in the kitchen area, not directly above hot.

Smokes where required with ref to distance from bedroom doors and principle habitable room. No need for smoke in the dining room, unless you have no lounge :LOL:

Reason for a fixed heat detector as compared to a rate of rise heat : A fixed rate will not respond to the rush of heat when you open an oven door ;)

but you are not putting it in the kitchen, its a kitchen diner, and also i did say smoke unless some one is a bad cook, ialso said if you do fit a heat detector, not to fit rate of rise, i also said i would fit a smoke in the middle of the ceiling

Grateful for your comments breezer. Just short cuircut said don't fit a smoke detector due to problems. Good enough for me

There are basically two types of Smoke detectors, Ionization & Photoelectric (sometimes called Optical).
Ionization ones in a kitchen, or just outside a K. door will trigger when you overdo the toast!
Photoelectric ones are less sensitive to that sort of problem.
However, in my experience, Ionization types deteriorate little with time, whereas Photoelectric ones start to after a few years (the inside of the chamber gets coated with dust/grease, causing false triggers).
Both types are available for use from a 12 volt dc power source (Intruder alarm panel), and these have relays to wire to a zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back