Heat Banks - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a new hot water system to replace an old cylinder which has now been removed. I previously raised a thread about alternatives (LPG Britony II, unvented cylinders, etc.) for which thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

However I only recently became aware of heat banks. Would one be suitable? It would need to supply a bathroom basin and kitchen sink, and occasionaly a bath when I have visitors. (I always use an electric shower.)

It would be direct, heated by an immersion heater on a timer.

Any pros or cons? Also any ideas of prices? - there doesn't seem to be much info on the internet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but I don't need a means of obtaining electricity. Just a way of turning electricity into hot water.

With solar panels I would still need some means of conversion.

I think you'll find waltons referring to water solar panels, these boost your hot water and can be very effective. :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, I appreciate that. But whatever the energy source you still need some way to convert it into hot water. My understanding is that solar panels are used to boost an existing system, usually a vented cylinder.

A heat bank is a cylinder which contains a fixed amount of water which is heated by (in my case) an immersion heater. The heat is then transferred on-demand via a heat exchanger to the pipe which feeds the hot taps. The advantages are that it is vented and therfeore needs little maintenance, but can be placed almost anywhere because it does not need an overflow to a loft tank.

It seems to be exactly what I need as I have ample space in an outbuilding adjacent to the kitchen, and it avoids all the weight and space requirements of a normal vented cylinder which in my case would have to be located upstairs. It also does not need the annual maintenance of an unvented system and is easier to install.

But :!: I can't find any info on them! Do they work? How much do they cost? What's the pros and cons?

Dellsmp,

Thanks for the link. And my apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back