Heat control - most efficient way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We have bought a house (3 bed, 30s semi) that has a 10yr old Vaillant combi boiler - it does not have a room/hallway thermostat - just the dial on the front of it.

We chose to leave it on 24/7 at one temp (about 1/3 of the dial) with all the necessary rads on full.

I am going to calculate the usage of the gas soon when I have a few more readings.

We are happy with the temp of the house but given we work daytime hours Mon-Fri I am thinking I should set the timer for 4pm-8am.
But then you read conflicting views that one temp and on 24/7 is more efficient!

Is there a better/proven way to control the heat efficiently? We have good insulation already.

I read one way would be to crank the boiler heat to 100% and control the heat output at the rads - they are just basic valves - no thermostatic ones.

Many thanks for any advice.
Jack

Sponsored Links
As good as your house insulation may be, it will loose heat to the outside (this time of year anyway!). If you keep the temperature up inside you will lose heat at a greater rate than if it was cooler.

The down side is old propertied are slower to respond to a demand for heat, so it takes time to heat up again. On the plus side it can go off earlier as heat in the walls will have a block storage effect.

Heating is mainly about comfort so your controls should really be set to get the heating on just before you get home and off at night or with a lower temperature.

Some of the programmable room thermostats offer not only useful on/off times but variable temperature settings as well.

This one: http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/Programmable-Thermostats/TPI/CM927/ is also wireless, meaning the receiver is wired locally to the boiler and the Room thermostat can be sited almost anywhere without need to chop out for cables.

Get a room thermostat installed too, the boiler will then be able to shut off once your house is up to temperature. Right now, it has no idea of how warm the house is and will continually cycle to maintain the flow temperature you have set on the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies.
I like the idea of a wireless room thermostat.

It is a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 (I will confirm this 100% later) if anyone knows of a thermostat that will plug and play.

Thanks again,
Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back