Heat damaged MET - DNO responsibility?

Obviously they will not admit or accept any liability now but it might trigger an internal evaluation of the quality of the people they employ.
If this is the first they've heard of it, they will deny and ignore.

If they've already had complaints over the years then if they were ever going to do anything they would have done it already.

IMO the chances of this report about something allegedly done 8 years ago triggering a "we keep hearing of problems, I suppose we should look into it to see who is to blame" reaction are non existent.

Sponsored Links
Just to follow up - the cut-out was replaced and a new earth provided.

I checked the shower as it was reported as not working that morning (co-incidence?)

IMG_1302.JPG IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1313.JPG

Sponsored Links
I checked the shower as it was reported as not working that morning (co-incidence?)

Well, you did not check it very
well. Look at the picture.
THAT SHOWER IS INCORRECTLY WIRED!!!!!!!!

The neutral and earth are reversed on the terminal block. No wonder the main earth connection fried, it is carrying the full neutral return current.

DO NOT USE THAT SHOWER. Get the wiring sorted.

Last edited:

The neutral and earth are reversed on the terminal block. No wonder the main earth connection fried, it is carrying the full neutral return current.

I thought the photo of the shower showed the 'before' situation, he already posted that he'd found it as a neutral/earth reversal. He SURELY wouldn't have left it as such?!

Would this damage the shower supply cable as the CPC would have been carrying the current and it's CSA is less than the N conductor?

I thought the photo of the shower showed the 'before' situation, he already posted that he'd found it as a neutral/earth reversal. He SURELY wouldn't have left it as such?!

Oops….I had forgotten that bit of the thread:oops:
I'm too hoping its the before photo that he has posted…….

It's really not hard to colour match 3 cables

Maybe the installer was green-blue colour blind?

He SURELY wouldn't have left it as such?!

I hope not to! :cautious: If it is still wired the same :eek::?:, maybe now with the effective low impedance earth the shower tripped the MCB/Fuse and that is why it is not working.

Would this damage the shower supply cable as the CPC would have been carrying the current and it's CSA is less than the N conductor?

Possibly, although due to the high impedance of the earth before and due the possibility that the cable was over sized to keep voltage drop in order; it is possible the current being drawn by the shower was less than the current ratting for 4mm² CPC core.

Umm yeah that was the "before" photo. I didn't bother with an "after" photo as I didn't think the process of swapping two wires was exciting enough to warrant one :)

But you can CLEARLY trace the green one on the shower to exposed metalwork so you could easily deduce it needed to be earth
Even simpler:

screenshot_715.jpg

I think we may safely assume that all of the terminals were identified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back