Heat exchanger, buffer tank or low loss header?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a completely new central heating system to feed radiators (150m2 of house across two floors - about 13 radiators) and provide hot water (1 shower, 4 sinks). For this, I'll be installing a Samsung 12kw Heat Pump and a 20tube solar thermal array (58mm hot tubes with alcohol fill) both to feed into a Telford Tempest Plus 250l unvented indirect cylinder.

My question is this - there seems to be some difference of opinion as to whether one should use a buffer tank or low loss header prior to feeding the radiator loop. My priorities here are cost and quality of the system overall. No big worries about space as it's all to be in a large unused (but tanked) cellar. The impression I get is that the 50l buffer tank is unnecessary as a low loss header will do the trick and that the use of buffer tanks is largely due to legacy approaches to system design. Is this right?

And am I right in thinking that it's best to install a heat exchanger to the tank for inputs from both heat pump and solar thermal?

Sponsored Links
Buffer would be my choice purely to help with defrost on the heat pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back