Heat exchanger replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there! I'm looking for opinions regarding my Ideal Isar boiler.
It is only two years old and the hot water pressure is SERIOUSLY reduced.I had it inspected today and was told the heat exchanger is badly crudded up and needs replacing!Although I live in a hard water area this still seems very soon to replace such a major component.Would be very interested to hear what people think!

Sponsored Links
You should have had some sort of scale prevention device fitted at the time of the installation.

When I used to fit these I always fitted the Sentinel Combiguard in the cold feed to the boiler for this reason.

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for this to happen within 2 years on an unprotected Isar.

Bit of a pig to change plate HE on these. (I assume you mean the Plate HE and not the main HE?)

I thought bimetal plate hex was supposed to be immune to scale build up.
I am in very hard water area and never have any problems with it.
Must admit I don’t fit ideals.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses.A magnetic scale reducer was fitted about six weeks after the original installation.Could the delay in fitting this have contributed significantly to the limescale build up,or not really made much difference?I'm trying to work out whether to just accept this as 'one of those things' or to call the installation company to account.
Don't know which part of the HE is the problem,just been told it needs replacing!

Lime scale is not usually a problem with a plate HE unless there are other factors involved!

Have you had dripping hot taps???

Tony

Yes-the hot tap in the kitchen has been dripping for ages but I haven't bothered to get it fixed as I'm going to have a total kitchen refit soon so didn't think it was worth it.Do you think that's significant then?

Yes-the hot tap in the kitchen has been dripping for ages but I haven't bothered to get it fixed as I'm going to have a total kitchen refit soon so didn't think it was worth it.Do you think that's significant then?

Thats the cause then!!!

How did I guess?

Logical really, I knew that there was an external cause of the scaling and that was it!

Fix it if you dont want a repeat!

Tony

Thanks for your insight,Tony.Would you mind explaining why the dripping tap would cause a limescale build up on the HE?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back