Heat gun to solder copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Christmas everyone....
Am moving a few radiators after Xmas and have seen YouTube clips of people using heat guns to solder copper pipes using the curved attachment.
Looked ok to me, anyone have experience of this rather than using a blow torch?

Sponsored Links
Haven't tried, but I'd be surprised if what is basically an over-powered hair dryer could put enough heat into a joint, when the copper is trying to conduct the heat away as fast as possible.

I don't think I would trust a soldered joint for any mains pressured pipework using a hot air blower, they do get hot enough to melt solder ring fittings to be fair but being only half the heat of a typical torch would it be a durable? I'm not so sure and certainly wouldn't risk it.

I know that this discussion is ages ago, however has anyone experience it as Gossamer said? Or have you try it yourself?

Sponsored Links
We used electric heat tongs back in the early 80's when no hot works allowed , this was in a block of flats where insulation between floors consisted of brown paper and straw..

We used electric heat tongs back in the early 80's when no hot works allowed , this was in a block of flats where insulation between floors consisted of brown paper and straw..
yes Steel I have used them too have also used the freezer tongs and although never had a fail using either I much prefer my Rothy blow lamp and refrigerant gas freezer kits but as you say if it is a no naked flame site you dont have a choice unless you go for pressfit these days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back