Heat insulation around cables running through joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This post kind of relates to this: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36470 but I hope to get a specific answer in this, the correct forum.

We have a few cables running through holes through the centres of joists in our cellar ceiling. We want to put some insulation between the joists to prevent it being so cold in the rooms above.

What, if any, space do I need to leave around the cables so that they don't overheat? Should I create boxed channels the full height of the joist, if so, how far apart on each side of the cables? The cables mostly run perpendicular to the joists, but where they break to a socket, they run clipped to the joist.

If anyone could please advise it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
chinesewhispers said:
Hi

This post kind of relates to this: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36470 but I hope to get a specific answer in this, the correct forum.

We have a few cables running through holes through the centres of joists in our cellar ceiling. We want to put some insulation between the joists to prevent it being so cold in the rooms above.

What, if any, space do I need to leave around the cables so that they don't overheat? Should I create boxed channels the full height of the joist, if so, how far apart on each side of the cables? The cables mostly run perpendicular to the joists, but where they break to a socket, they run clipped to the joist.
If anyone could please advise it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

The correct way to run the cable is to take in consideration a factor that will compesate for thermal insulation, this factor might increase the cable size depends on the maximum load that the cable will carry and the size of the cable. I am sure that you can leave the cable uncovered and not touching the insulation material, but doing so you will compromise the quality of the insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back