Running cables across from joist to joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lights on my stairs are controlled by pair of switches - one at top, one at bottom - connected by 3core&earth for 2-way switching. As part of some refurbishment work I have relocated the upstairs switch and now need to reroute the 3&E cable (actually, I'm going to disconnect the old cable and run a new length). The new route will pass under a bedroom floor at right-angles to the joints. As the O/D of the new cable is approx 10mm I have drilled new 12mm holes in each joist (on the joist centre-line)ready to thread my new cable across.

But....should the cable have any additional support between joists? The joists are at approximately 16" centres, so the approx 14" gap between joists exceeds the recommended 300mm spacing used when doing horizontal clipping. I could drop the cable down to the ceiling and run across the plasterboard and back up again between each joist, but then I'm worried about what might happen in the future if anyone ever drilled into the ceiling from below in order to fix something. Looking around under the flooring with a torch, there appear to be other cables run across through joists without any support.

I can't find anything in any specific guidance which seems to address this issue, only the need for protection from screwing into floorboards from above. From what I have read elsewhere on this forum the answer appears to be that simply suspending the cable should be OK, but it would be nice to get confirmation ;)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Worrying about nothing, make sure it's pulled reasonably tight and then clip it to the joists when it runs parallel to them and that should keep it in place for the next 50 years or more

Sponsored Links
Whilst there are no rules whether the cable should be tight or loose; being loose might mean it is more likely to be pushed out of the way should a drill encounter it, there are rules regarding where the holes in joists may be drilled.

1697019569625.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back