Heat insulation for a Wood burning Stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to here so please be gentle.
I am having a wood burner installed (Morso 6140 by a Hetas installer) but I am doing the hearth and the surround. (No fireplace) The problem is that I would like to have the wall behind as plain as possible.
One possibility is to use Vermiculite fireboard but I can only find this in 800x600 sheets and would like to do it in one sheet if possible (Ease of use and cost)
Is there any other material, apart from rendering, that I can get to do the job? If so where can I get it (I am in the Midlands)
At present the walls are plasterboard fixed to 'breezeblock'
Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
You may find that even rendering may not be up to the job - at least not for ever, anyway - it depends on how close the stove is to the wall.
I'd go for the vermiculite boards I think......so at least you only do the job once.
John :)

Hi,

I am a Hetas engineer and do a lot of fireplace linings.

We use Hardiebacker 12mm concrete board. Sheets are 1.2m x 0.8m. This means we can one sheet the rear of many fireplaces but not all.

Make sure to PVA it if you want it to stick well to anything. You can screw it to the wall (Thunderbolts) or dot and dab.

[/img]

You can add skim stop bead to the edges for plastering purposes.

Do not plaster within the recess as it always cracks from the heat of the stove. Concrete board can be painted directly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Goldspoon, It appears you may have given me my answer, It is a lot cheaper than vermiculite and I can get it locally.
An engineer came yesterday to quote to fit the stove said that I did not need to do anything to as it would be far enough away from the wall at 180mm to be well within the minimum distances quoted by Morso.
However the plaster board is in poor condition and needs replacing so I will use this and paint directly onto it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back