Heat pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since the gov is mulling over a gas boiler ban in 2025, has anyone had any experience with HPs ? this seems like another car crash in the making.

Sponsored Links
I am responsible for an office ASHP heating system, and this morning when it's 2 degrees C outside, the outdoor unit is continually icing up. For 20 minutes of each hour it produces no internal heat as it it busy defrosting its outdoor coils. Even though the building is well insulated and has been Environmentally Certified as BREEAM Excellent; once the outside temperature drops to low single figures it can only maintain 20 degrees internally with the ASHP running 24/7.

Because ASHP's work like a fridge in reverse, the indoor coils get warm, and the outdoor coils get cold, so even when it's 5 degrees C outside the outdoor coils will still ice up as the coils themselves fall below 0 degrees C, and the damp British air passing over them turns to ice.

When it's 10 degrees or above outside it produces vast amounts of heat and warms the building very quickly, but as the temperature falls into single figures and more heat is required, efficiency drops and it produces much less heat, and then when we get down to 5 degrees the dreaded defrosting starts.

So in summary, at the point when you need more heat, the ASHP heat output drops dramatically.......

Having said that, it's a good few years old now though, so maybe the new technology is a bit better, and GSHP's wouldn't have the same problem, but they aren't viable for most UK homes.

A friend of mine installed an ASHP at home 2 years ago, and whilst he's reasonably happy with it, he said that when connected to radiators the heat pumps only make them warm, not hot like a boiler. So, he had to have some additional radiators installed and some existing ones replaced with new ones that were twice the size. This low temperature is fine for UFH though, so good for new builds, but that won't help most homeowners who would find it a massive undertaking to install the required water pipes, manifolds and insulation. Regarding the running cost, he says whilst it uses less energy to run, because the cost of electricity is higher, the overall running cost is the same as for his old boiler.

@stem What model is the HP ?

It sounds like the HP might be undersized ? Is the building temp comfortable ?
Also, do you know if your friend's house is draughty ? and whether he has decent mechanical ventilation ? Opening windows and trickle vents with a low-temp heating system can kill efficiency.

Sponsored Links
Since the gov is mulling over a gas boiler ban in 2025,

"The UK government announced a ban on gas boilers – then watered it down to an 80% reduction by 2035." I have read. ;)

25 was only a ban for new build installs anyway iirc.

@stem What model is the HP ?
I don't know what model my friend has, I'm not even sure of the make, possibly Daikin, but I'm not 100% sure. It's an old detached property but I believe it has had insulation added to the walls internally. He'd hoped to save a bit on the running cost getting rid of his old oil boiler, but reckons the running cost of the HP is about the same.

The HP in the office is a Mitsubishi City Multi. But as I said it's a good few years old, so maybe the technology is better now. Working well today though.

come across this problem a lot with systems that were fitted without flow limiters. if the system can pump around more than the design flow rate then at low outside temps it will reguarly frost up. It's not a big job to fit a flow limiter
1701816819744.png

"The UK government announced a ban on gas boilers – then watered it down to an 80% reduction by 2035." I have read. ;)

25 was only a ban for new build installs anyway iirc.
And when this lot of jokers are out, it will probably be soon forgotten anyway. The impossible 'nett zero'!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back