Heat resistant tape recommendation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to replace the grill element on the oven today and noticed that the wiring was a little "scorched" (see photo) presumably by contacting the heat pipe going up. Its not damaged or perished but its a bit disconcerting. I would like to shield the wiring before reinstating.
What would you suggest using ? Oven typically operates up to 220 deg C.
I have silicon rubber tubing (from a lab) that might work but I am guessing a heat resistant tape might be better - any recommendations or alternatives please.
Thanks John

wiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its not damaged
It probably is.

What would you suggest using ?
Something to keep the wiring from touching that pipe, for example a strip of SRBP fixed to terry clips.

Oven typically operates up to 220 deg C.
And typically the insulation on cables like those is not expected to be used on cables operating at > 70°C.

I have silicon rubber tubing (from a lab) that might work but I am guessing a heat resistant tape might be better - any recommendations or alternatives please.
AFAIK, "heat resisting" tapes are designed to resist the effects of heat on themselves, i.e. to not get damaged, have the glue fail, etc, not to act as thermal insulation.

AFAIK, "heat resisting" tapes are designed to resist the effects of heat on themselves, i.e. to not get damaged, have the glue fail, etc, not to act as thermal insulation.[/QUOTE]

What about wrapping the pipe in glass fibre thermal tape - similar to this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-The...790590?hash=item1e89da187e:g:8MoAAMXQC-tTGgRw

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
How old is it?
Maybe ask the manufacturer for advice. I'd worry that those wires are already damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back