Heat shrink for electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use the heat shrink tube sold on ebay typically for car electrics, or is there a specified standard for domestic electrics?

It will be used for 1mm2 to 2.5mm2 cable, 2 core and earth, where the existing cable sheathing has been cut short on lamp holders/downlighters etc, but also outside where single conductors emerge from conduit into the accessory.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Not seen a heat shrink joint in years, but the epoxy lined heat shrink in my mind made a better joint to the modern potted epoxy resin, but harder to use, making the joint compact enough to fit within the length provided was hard. Without the epoxy resin heat shrink tends to move, exposing live wires, I used a little silicon sealant which both sealed from moisture and stopped it sliding off. But yes used it many times.

Should I get medium wall or heavy wall cable sleeves for domestic wiring?

Blup

Heatshrink, like every other product, is made to certain specifications.
Any decent manufacturer or supplier can provide those, so that you can determine if the product is suitable for the intended purpose.

If you buy random tat on ebay, it's anyone's guess as to what you actually receive, and there is no way to know whether it is suitable for any purpose.

Sponsored Links
That said - any heatshrink you buy - be it from ebay or RS likely to be fine for what you want.
If your concerned just ask the seller if it is suitable for 230v use (I cannot say I have ever seen any that is not).

Generally get electrical products from Screwfix. More recently I've used CEF, excellent friendly customer service, and seem to have a wide range of quality products.

I ended up buying adhesive heat shrink tubing from an established ebay seller (who appear to have an established bricks and mortar business), and they confirm the product was suitable for the intended purpose.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back