Heated Floor Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope somebody here can help as I have had conflicting information. I want to fit large tiles throughout my house and use an electric under floor heating system (Downstairs) my builder wants to put 18mm plywood over the floorboards but I have been told that's not great for big tiles and it would be better with something called hardy backer???? Also I would loose heat from the electric cables more with plywood, i spoke to someone at Topps Tiles but not sure they didn't seem certain. All help appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Go into the Topps store and ask for the most proficient member of staff regarding underfloor heating as everyone's product knowledge varies depending on experience with said products. Underfloor heating is daunting for people not familiar with the gear.

Overboard the floor with Hardiebacker 6 mm. Use a Prowire kit which sits in the adhesive. And for god sake your choice of tile is fine. Find a tiler if the builder kicks up a fuss about using Hardiebacker as it's your choice at the end of the day.

You are better off using a thermal tile backer board in all honesty, like DeltaBoard/wedi/Marmox type. these will reflect the heat upwards, the cement ones like Hardie/NMP i wouldnt use with UFH.

DeltaBoard comes in various thicknesses, 10mm min i would recommend for under UFH.

You are better off using a thermal tile backer board in all honesty, like DeltaBoard/wedi/Marmox type. these will reflect the heat upwards, the cement ones like Hardie/NMP i wouldnt use with UFH.

DeltaBoard comes in various thicknesses, 10mm min i would recommend for under UFH.

Really? I didn't think insulation boards would cope with the deflection caused by the ply warming up.

OP: might be worth ringing the manufacturer of your chosen insulation boards to check suitability over ply :)

Sponsored Links
Really? I didn't think insulation boards would cope with the deflection caused by the ply warming up.

assuming that the ply is going down still i wouldnt have any problems in putting 10mm delta boards down then ufh then use a flexible screed over the heating. belt n braces i know.

theres also a new(ish) ufh heating system on the market called Vario PRO, its a basically a decoupling matting that you fit a loose wire too, again, youd have to make sure floor was deflection free, but this is really catching on now, its a lot faster to install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back