Heater problem zafira

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a 02 zafira 1.8 auto .

i am getting luke warm air from the heater have checked both hoses from the bulk head to the matrix they are both hot the car is not over heating does take a bit of time to get to normal temp any ideas what the problem is and if so how to fix it ? thanks all

Sponsored Links
Initially it sounds like your thermostat is a bit lazy - that is, it has stuck open. The engine will take longer to get up to temperature and will cool down quicker (in traffic etc)......it may well run permanently a bit on the cool side.
Does the dash temperature gauge back this up?
John :)

the temp does go up to just under normal then drops again even when driving

If the temperature gauge is accurate...
The temperature should rise to the normal, maybe fractionally above -and when the thermostat opens it may well fall a little again. The trouble is, the movement can be so subtle as to be scarcely noticable. In traffic, the temperature may rise and then fall again as the electric cooling fan cuts in and out.
When you say the heater flow and returns are hot, that should be hot so that you can hardly touch them - also the pipes, when squeezed should feel as if they are under pressure if all is well.
There are other possibilities of course......1) the heater matrix my be blocked to some degree 2) The air control flaps that direct cool air to be heated may not be operating correctly so some air is actually bypassing the rad.
Presumably the coolant level is fine?

Sponsored Links
Hi John coolant level is fine the engine temp does not rise to normal in fact it stays about a 1/4 of the way when driving and drops down when standing in trafic . i will double check the hoses i know when i squezzed them one at a time i was getting a flow of water to the reservoir. not sure how to check the flaps tho and i do appreciate your trying to help.
Steve

From what you say there, that is so typical of a thermostat stuck open.....replacing it is job number one. The squeezed hoses raising the level in the expansion bottle is perfectly normal and what you want to see.

ok are they easy to do myself? and do u know if i need any special tools?

First I'd look at what the stat looks like - ebay, Autovaux or whatever, then try to find it on your vehicle. Often enough, they are part of the housing itself, and are fixed to the cylinder block somewhere....try following the route of the top radiator hose back to the block first. Usually its just 2 or 3 nuts or bolts with a hose clip or two that holds them on.
You'll lose some coolant so have some fresh stuff for topping up later.
You never know, there could well be a YouTube on this!
Be lucky

Sponsored Links
Back