Heath Robinson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyine heard this term when reffering to a bodge job?

My brother who is replacing my fireplace confused me when he siad the existing one was a bit "Heath Robinson"

I obviously had no idea what he was on about, and he said, well it's a bodge job???

Cheers

Sponsored Links
well it means make do and mend to get it working with whats avalable
not nessiserily bad or to a standard just to get it working
often to a fashion but often completly satifactory and as good as new

Sponsored Links
Heath robinson was an ilustrator, but he was most famous for his "silly contraptions" they would look really good but didn't actually do much. a bit like the sort of thing you see if you watch wallace and gromett.

So anything that is bodged or "strung together" is called "heath robinson"

During Physics at school, we were shown loads of Heath Robinson cartoons, as a diversion. (The teacher was a keen fan). They tipically consisted of planks of wood, string, bits of bicycles etc.. set up in the most elaborate manner possible to undertake some sort of rudimentary task.

The Wallace and Grommet films look like they are a direct decendant of the genre, albeit with a bit of modern technology thrown in. Absolutely great stuff.

BTW another bit of useless information, If my memory is right, the word Bodge was actually derived from a firm of Furniature manufacturers that invented the wooden dowel. This means that the Wooden Dowel was actually the first Bodge invented.

thanks, thought I'd ask as not only did my brother use the expression early today, but an hour or two ago on discovery real time, Alan Herd of "Restoration Man" used it as well when he was restoring an old chair

TexMex said:
BTW another bit of useless information, If my memory is right, the word Bodge was actually derived from a firm of Furniature manufacturers that invented the wooden dowel. This means that the Wooden Dowel was actually the first Bodge invented.

That's interesting, I always thought a bodger is someone who uses a pole-lathe to turn green wood. I have had a go at this and it is a really nice way to turn wood.

TexMex said:
During Physics at school, we were shown loads of Heath Robinson cartoons
Blimey, you`re an old un too :LOL: :LOL:

edited to correct quote

Alan Herd of "Restoration Man"

a sound lad , DOESNT HE MAKE IT LOOK EASy ...
a very good chippy
I love him an big walshy too, going an doing building work projects with that piggery he did for capt pugwash/biker fella, when they lifted that stone gate post an it fell off the jcb an broke in two ,PRICELESS, lol,.lol..lol..lol
btw can you remember this Classic saying he comes out with when things go wrong
"Dont need no never Mind ",lol

I was also shown heath Robinson contraptions in my science lessons ...

that fella Prof Wilf on 'Vision On' used to do loads of good ones he made

Sponsored Links
Back