Heating a 20sqm outbuilding in the winter - what do i do ?

Sponsored Links
How can I have a diesel heating in a building, when I have gone to google to research, they simply talk about this being for cars etc ?

They are designed for vehicles but a number are used to heat workshops, offices, garages, sheds etc. I heat a workshop with one, 18 months on all in one type.
Plenty of FB sites as well. eg Chinese diesel parking heater projects and mods.
Can give a few pointers on which type if you decide.

Plenty of vids out there.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQuKF1hbqMfP7yW3NLD-fsA

Sponsored Links
Question- assuming you have a separate fuel tank in your motorhome for the heater is it legal to run it on the cheaper kerosene or will HMRC get all excitable? V useful thread this, i had no idea night heaters had got so cheap. Need to start tracking down 24v versions for my baby lorry as well as a 12v for the garage- that running cost is v tempting

How can I have a diesel heating in a building, when I have gone to google to research, they simply talk about this being for cars etc ?

My car has one. It's a little bigger than a house brick works on 12v and produce >5Kw of heat when its running, HGV drivers know them as 'night heaters'. It uses a metering pump, to feed the diesel into the burner, sounding like a quiet rocket when its running. It is plumbed into the cooling system, includes a water circulation pump and heats the engine up via the cooling system. Basically I can switch the system on, during a freezing morning, wait 20 minutes and get into a warm car. During the 20 minutes it will burn less than 1/4 litre of fuel.

They are a favourite boiler for adding to a narrow boat, because they have a reputation of being able to burn almost any oily fuel. Instead of the hot water being pumped round the engine, it is simply pumped through a normal central heating radiator. It just needs a 12v 20amp power source when starting, the rest of the time it runs on a couple of amps, plus a fuel tank.

Question- assuming you have a separate fuel tank in your motorhome for the heater is it legal to run it on the cheaper kerosene or will HMRC get all excitable? V useful thread this, i had no idea night heaters had got so cheap. Need to start tracking down 24v versions for my baby lorry as well as a 12v for the garage- that running cost is v tempting

You can quite legally run your heater on red. Expecting to use quite a lot of diesel in my car for the fuel burning heater, I installed a separate tank for it to run it on red diesel. Before doing that, I entered into an email exchange with HMRC to ensure I could legally do that. At first they said it would be illegal, but I stuck at them explaining that the red would not be for propulsion of the vehicle and they eventually conceded it was legal, provided I had an entirely separate tank, pipework and etc..

I am confused no as to what to do. The govt green scheme is another option but i have mates in the trade who can install whatever option I go for, so this would not be an issue.

One thing I did not mention, I have a tall fridge/freezer in the room, is this adding to the problem ?

No, that is making the room warmer.

What temperature is it, actually? Do you have a thermometer on your desk?

Eliminating draughts and wearing suitable clothes can make a lot of difference. Put your electric heater under your desk where it will warm your feet first.

The construction was filled with 100mmm cavity insulation, not sure if anything else can be done ? With the loft, I can see its insulated but not sure how I can tell that is the source of heat loss.

Im surprised -I built a garden office which is 20 sq metres externally, I use an oil filled radiator which takes a couple of hours to warm through on 3 then I turn it down to 1.....and it stays pretty much warm enough just on low for the rest of the day

the construction is 100mm celetex in walls, 70mm floor, 120mm roof

Current price for road diesel is average 113p/litre. Red diesel is approx. 55p/litre. Just check UK index and or oil supplier or garage.

Im surprised -I built a garden office which is 20 sq metres externally, I use an oil filled radiator which takes a couple of hours to warm through on 3 then I turn it down to 1.....and it stays pretty much warm enough just on low for the rest of the day

the construction is 100mm celetex in walls, 70mm floor, 120mm roof

The construction for mine is 100mm cavity, 100mm celotex on the floor and yet its like this. TBH when I turn on the heating to level 3 for a few hrs, then level 1 after. Electricity cost for that day is usually £6 more than normal average. Its not sustainable, it will now encourage me to work from the house which defeats the purpose of the outbuilding office, I like the quiet environment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back